how to tune guitar without using any pc tuner

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by smriti, Jan 30, 2005.

1. smriti

smriti // Silent Observer //

hi ppl
    i have just started learning guitar n am having troubles tuning my guitar. how can tune it without using any pc tuner or anything else. i cant practise without tuning it. pls help...................................

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Hey there smriti, welcome to IGT first of all. The best way for a beginner to tune his/her guitar is using a PC tuner, but since you mentioned specifically that you didnt want one, the best options for you are this:-
    1)Get an experienced person to do it for you
    2)Search for tuners on google and you'll get a software which plays the exact sound of how the strings are when they are tuned and you can tune accordingly
    3)Use a pitch pipe
    But i still stress on the fact that a PC tuner is by far the best for a beginner. If you decide to change your mind regarding that, go to www.download.com and search for Digital Guitar tuner and download. Best guitar tuner in my opinion. Any more queries, please ask.

3. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Hi smriti, while its good to havea tuner to get the exact pitches, you can tune your strings relative to each other without using a tuner. This means ur guitar will sound good and correct but may not be in the correct pitch if played with someother instrument. For playing by urself u can do this.
    tune the first string (thinnest string) to a comfortable tautness (so that its not too tight and risks breaking, but sounds good). Now you can tune the rest of the strings relative to this.
    Hold the second string at the 5th fret, and match this with the first string open. They must sound the same frequency. Then hold the 3rd string at the 4th fret, and match it with the second stringplayed open. Then match the 4th string on 5th fret with 3rd open. Then 5th string on 5th fret with 4th open, 6th string on 5th fret with 5th open.
    Then compare by playing the 6th string 12th fret and the 4th string 2nd fret. If they match ur tuning is right. If they don't, either ur tuning is wrong or ur fretboard is warped.

bob-bobby likes this.
  4. ijlal

ijlal The B chord

no no ....dont go for relative tuning so early..i think u shluld download a guitar tuner..and one is Ap Guitar tuner 2.0..there is a complete thread abt guitar tuning softwares in forum..search it.
    regards

bob-bobby likes this.
  5. smriti

smriti // Silent Observer //

thanks all u ppl for the reply.
    hey ananth i knew that relative tuning method n was relying on this method only but still cudnt tune my guitar well. disturbed i have changed my mind n now i have that digital tuner. n ijlal thanks for guiding.

bob-bobby likes this.
  6. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Good to hear, best of luck with your endeavour.

7. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

pitch pipe works well with acoustics. a better way is to tune the bottom string with pitch pipe and use relative tuning for the rest.

bob-bobby likes this.
  8. shak

shak Harrr!

i have a pitch pipe lyin around..but dont know how to use it!!...guess i am hijacked by the modern digital tech. like so many people :(
    can anyone tell me how to use a pitch pipe plz??

9. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

The BEST and EASIEST way to tune (this is for beginners) is not to rely on ears.
    Buy a tuner that tells you to tighten or loosen the strings by way of a meter.
    Do not think that by using a tuner, your ears dont get the right training or something like that. Your ears will train themselves in the coming years.
    Rather if you rely on your ears and tune, there are chances that you learn songs also in the wrong tuning, and screw up your hearing sense.
    Use a tuner and be Safe"

Buy a Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-10 if available, else wait for the CA-30 to release.
    Its better that the Guitar Tuner GA-10, because the guitar tuner only detects standard notes. With the chromatic tuner you can detect every note.