How to tune a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo system?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by stallion02, Feb 5, 2010.

1. stallion02

stallion02 New Member

Hi guys at last i bought LTD KH 202 today from furtados bangalore....this is the first time i am using a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo system..i am not getting tuning this shit...help me brothers:(

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

There are lots of online guides, There is nothing much to add to those.

3. flood

flood New Member

search on youtube. there are some excellent vids that explain the process. it can't be explained in text.

i actually stopped playing my fernandes 7 because of floyd rose issues. hate that system now.

4. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage New Member

Tuning of floating bridge guitars takes longer than fixed bridge guitars because the floating bridge position will keep changing on account of the tension of the springs in the cavity and the tension of the strings themselves. What you have to do once you the strings on the guitar is:
    1) Keep the locking nut open
    2) Tune several times till you get a stable tuning, ie. the tuning of the strings does not change because you raised/lowered the tension of another string while tuning everything to the correct tension. I repeat, you have to tune several times because the bridge would have raised/lowered when you were tuning to the correct note on another string.
    3) Once you have got your stable tuning, tighten the locking nuts
    4) Use the fine tuners (the ones on the bridge) to tune everything to perfect pitch.

NB: If your bridge is too high or too low on account of tuning to the correct pitch, you need to tighten/loosen the springs in the cavity. As mentioned, youtube videos can probably help you out in this regard.

- Jimmy Rage