How to tab a song

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by anuragiimk, Apr 22, 2005.

1. anuragiimk

anuragiimk New Member

Hi,

I am a beginner in Guitar. I am just curious to know, how can one tab/ play a given song. I have been getting this answer from some people that you have to "develop ears"... but HOW????

Lets say I want to tab kal ho na ho..title song.. so will I sleect a scale first
    1. Say I'll select scale of C
    2. Try to put that song in "Sa re ga" or "Do re.." form...

and then play it.. or..??

:eek::

2. FaWaD

FaWaD New Member

well i was looking for a solution to this as well.. as there is no use of cramming the tabs from this website.. i mean u do impress ppl in a short time but if u really wanna learn some music u dont get anywhere i guess.. i wanna learn to tab man..

i've been playing some scales lately plus i m also trying to train my ears.. i guess thats the only way..

guys if u hav any solution to this then pls reply here..

3. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

to tab a song u 'just' have to listen to the song a million times.

this is what ive been taught..has it worked..yes it has ..how?..simple.. u listen for bass notes of a chord.. if u know your theory well enough..u'll know that the thickest string E is the root of a chord..the root meaning the chords letter if u like A,B,C,C#,Bb etc..
    once u've got the root u have to figure out the kind of chord it is
    augmented,minor,major,7th,5th, or the more complicated ones.
    see what sounds best and u've nailed the first chord..once u know the first few chords u can work out what key the song is in..that way u can predict the next few chords coming your way!!!

goto www.wholenote.com and click on basics at the bottom of the page there is a ear training prog. it will help u disgtinguish between chords..
    good luck and dont give up..best thing is to go thru theory..i havent done it for 3 years i can play a few tunes..but i havent grown as a guitarist..good luck and done give up

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

trail and error.
    hum apart of the song and then try to play it on the guitar.
    dont worry your self with scale.Do it on one string first.
    yo can worry about key later.

5. somendra_guitar

somendra_guitar New Member

plz can somebdy tell me how do start with finding out tabs(lead) not chord 4 a song>????????

6. tejas_9889

tejas_9889 New Member

u guys need 2 practise a lot ...... its not easy to tab but it is not very tough ...

one tip 4 tabbing ( this is totally mine and it really worx )
    now wen u listen to a song convert it in the form of ur whistle ... i mean ppl find it very easy to convert any song into whistle notes very easily. any body can whistle a song but it takes a lot 4 them to play on guitar now if u can whistle the song u note down in ur mind when the pitch goes up and wen it comes down so u try to do the same on ur guitar

try & try

and finally u will get the song
    and yea ... in ur first try never care about the scale as after u get the tabs u can change it
    and one more thing ..... never give up on any song as every song u tab the faster u will tab the nxt song

if any person has a better method then plzz post it to me