how to sing and play at same time

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by beatles, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Natasia

Natasia ...

well.. me was a singer even b'for me picked up the guita... the way i c it.. its always a pleasure to listen to sumone who can hit all the really high and low notes using their real voice as compared to the falsetto...
    @sonali.. it genrally depends on the song... me means the tone of u;'r voice... its like u need to sing in a huslkier voice while singing songs sung by shubha mudgal but a softer one when singing songs by asha bhosleor alka yagnik.. the same goes for eng. songs too... it depends on the kinda song... :) :)

2. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

ok, finally a girl to ask.......what abt when you sing songs that are just too complecated like "So Gayi Ye Zameen" would you try to hit all the notes? or when its sung my a man like um....."tanha dil" would you use a deeper voice for that and try to sound like a man?

3. Natasia

Natasia ...

its not abt sounding like a guy.... its abt sounding right n doing justice to the song.. so me says try singing in a li'l huskier voice but maintain u'r voice..n yup i wouls try n hit all the notes.....if that makes any sense.... u don't want tanhayee..(whc is a song i adore by the way..) to sound all shrill do ya.????

4. Sonali

did you learn to sing from a teacher? and do you do voice execises to sound good, or is it possible to sound like proffesionals without being tought, my mom told me that its impossible to sound like them without proffesional guidence so i gave up.

i know me is pethetic :eek:

5. Natasia

Natasia ...

well nope i didn't go to any teacher.. but being in the school choir helped coz many of the ppl there did have teachers so we did learn a few vocal exercises... but if u want my opinion.. i don't think u need to be taught to be a gud singer... if u have a nice voice u can always become a gud singer.... wat i generally do is try and sing as closely to the real thing as i can... n try singing songs by a huge range of singers.... the way i see it.. if u can sing most of the shubha mudgal songs flawlessly u can hit most of the base notes easily ..... n so on ... n if its theory u wanna learn u'll find loooaaddssaa help over the net... so don't lose heart n don't give up.. that would b my advice to ya.......

6. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Girls generally sing Dream Theater really well..

7. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills &amp; Far Away

some nice discussion here...

@sonali: it's best to discover your own true voice and then modulate it accordingly to suit different styles and songs. i had a very bad habit of mimicking each and every singer i heard and ended up sounding pretty much like them, so that 'my voice' changed with each song i attempted. then i grew up and learnt the importance of individuality in all affairs and so began a difficult fight against the habit, and now can say that i've more or less corrected it too. i've this attitude - mine may not be a very good voice (not that i mean really to say that!) but it's my voice and carries my own individuality and personality and i'm good enough at singing to justify my own attempt to cover that song, which needn't necessarily be exactly similar to the original (tho for the perfectionist that i'm i don't quite improvise all that often).

and yeah, in hindi music ppl have always preferred a very soft and smooth voice (i don't know why - i believe even male vocalists like bryan adams would never make it in hindi music).. the result: lata mangeshkar and shania twain may be singing the same high note but shania's sounds so much bolder and stronger. that gives ppl the impression that the former is harder to sing, which needn't always be the case.

btw, i recently discovered this great site for singers. check it out for a lotta articles on technique, style and almost everything pertaining to vocalists: https://vocalist.org.uk/

8. jayanth

I knew that.. There is a Band called Milikan's Oil Drop in Bangalore.. They cover Dream Theater with a Female vocalits.. YOu tend to go OOOOOOOOOOO..

Durga the Drummer of Cryptic also sang for their First Album.. Whoever have heard her will start Loving their Music.. Again a Band which covers DT..

Yasmin the now Myndsnare Drummer , Used to Sing for Angel Dust.. Her Vocals was something we would go to hear always..

Sherin used to sing for Mixed Fruit Jam when it existed.. But they were mostly into Pop and Rock.. Generally mixing the Genres.. Again I must Say Amazing Vocals..

9. Natasia

Natasia ...

:think: :think: i don't mimic the voice.... but now u've made me re-think my vocal skills prash....

10. prash_rocks

like in what way?

11. Natasia

Natasia ...

well ..me does know me's a berrrrryyy beeerrrrryyy gud singer... no two ways abt tht...:p :p :p ..but like u said i do feel tht creating u'r own identity is very imp. ...... so i guess its time me moved outta the trying to sing the shubha mudgal songs as close to the way she may sing it...n make the song my own....huh......

12. prash_rocks

yeah, right... isn't that the way?

some of the cover songs drive this point home... like bob dylan originally wrote 'all along the watchtower' and sang in his own nasal voice. but jimi hendrix covered it and made the song his own and most ppl now know/remember only jimi's version (in his - i'd say - very typically bad and weird vocal style) - it's one of the classic rock masterpieces.

13. Sonali

@ prash- thanks for the web site, i went to check it out and got so into it that i forgot to thank you.
    @ Nats- thanks for sharing your knowledge and encouragement :rock:
    @ jay- thanks for making me feel worse than i already do by praising other ppl's singing.
    @ ananth- thanks for responding so quickly and i'll try to get that sexy husky voice :rockon:
    :mad: sorry i had to edit it coz i have the attention span of a goldfish, i'm mad at myself

14. jayanth

I'm not trying to make you feel qworse. I'm getting all you gals to get Singing. These are just inspirations..

15. andy_maxman

andy_maxman New Member

so guys.. imagine james hettfield's muscle power....

16. jayanth

YOu first said Kirk Hammet.. BTW research says that The E minor Scale is the easiest Scale to play. .So is the Chord(As we have seen).. The Hats off to Jaymz.. The Barre F is the toughes chord to play and he plays it all the time..

17. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

yeah but he's got some voice. .. but his voice's has changed over time don't you think. .. listen to ride the lightening .. master of puppets and now the black album and load reload .. .. its got a bit huskier i think. .. though he sounds great in unforgiven 2 ... i love him in mama said .. .!!

18. jayanth

Liste To St. Anger. .he he..

19. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

call it apathy..but i have barely heard of the existence of hendrix's version

20. jayanth

WHat?? You didnt know this??