how to sing and play at same time

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by beatles, Apr 6, 2004.

1. beatles

beatles New Member

hi all
    i can play chords and i can sing also..
    but iam unable to do both same time..
    unable to keep the rythm..
    any help...

:rule:

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Just Concerntration and Practice. Nothing else will help.

3. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

a very common problem for all beginners. we tend to entirely lose the rhythm while playing, mostly (as used to happen with me) mess up the singing... nothing to worry about it, it takes time to come, but once it does, it never leaves you, however difficult the song. i myself couldn't do this at all, when one day i woke up and could suddenly do it damn well! of course, in the meanwhile i was trying hard to get it right.

well, there are certain steps to make the passage easier out of this trouble.

the first thing is to do with the guitar itself. make sure you can play perfectly along to the record right in the rhythm. it is called 'muscle memory': u shd be always able to play the chords correctly whenever u want to, and not only sometimes. to do this, ur fingers and hands will learn to *remember* to summon up exactly the right muscles to tend to automatically shape themselves accordingly in the next chord shape and move along in the right direction to form that chord without yourself even having to think of pushing them to do so.

then at first, you may avoid singing entirely. just hum along the tune while playing. u'll realise this is much easier to do and goes well with the chords too most of the time.

then u may graduate to singing and playing with the track. this is still kinda easier coz u can sometimes skip some singing portions if u find ur rhythm eluding u.

then to start doing it on ur own... the first requisite to be able to add singing to the chords is to remember the song absolutely perfectly, the lyrics and the tune and the intonations and all. u may avoid some singing techniques like the tremolo in the beginning, as u can pick all that later again.

yet, it used to happen with me always - i suddenly forgot the lyrics i had been singing for years without even thinking once about it! so the lyrics u shd really remember to the word. remember it as if u could sing it even in ur sleep!

well, u may try along these lines, hopefully u'll get better... u shd understand that it appears difficult at first coz our brains are at the beginning too occupied with making the guitar sound right - as that is the newer thing we've learned (as was my case) and naturally we're not so sure about it - that it hasnt yet learnt to channelise our attention to the voice at all while playing. u may relate this with people learning to drive.. u'll hardly find a young driver talking much while at his new-found job. thats coz he needs full mental concentration to keep his driving steady.

:beer:

4. jayanth

Wow prash rocks :rock:

5. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

i forgot to add... of course choose only simple songs in the beginning. then u become confident. i remember the first song i did was 'back to you' by bryan adams... a damn easy song to sing and play in c major, but a good one nonetheless for crossing the big hurdle. and once i got it, i did it 15 times in an hour... it was a big moment!!

6. jayanth

Try this song.. Pearl Jam - Last Kiss or RHCP - Californication

7. wisevijay

wisevijay newbombayrox

cool man,but everything requires hardwork and practice.:)

8. beatles

beatles New Member

Hi friends
    thank you very much for your valuble suggestions
    iam sure iam going to gain a lot from you
    beatles
    :beer:

9. jayanth

Beatles???

10. shyam

shyam New Member

areeeeey jayanth bhole. thats his signature yaar. :p

11. jayanth

Still didnt get you

12. alli

alli The Best Ever

PRASH ROCKS !!!!

i've always lost my patiencetrying to do both at the same time..finally i know how to start now !!

i bow down to thee...:nw: ...arrow too.... (ok..VERY BAD joke )

thts his signature ya .... ur "jayanth' ..im alli...thteres prash_rocks..andshyam..hes beatles... im wonderign which one though ?:think:

13. jayanth

His Nick.. I was wondering what signature.... Play californication its a easy singalong song.

14. jayanth

his post says. gathered a lot from you Beatles. So it got me wondering. May be i was drunk.. He HE..

15. beatles

beatles New Member

My god..:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    what a hush over beatles..
    thats why they say "sign beneath the line"
    great..
    :mad:
    beatles ( now its ok i think )

16. ravikiran_kool

ravikiran_kool Up the IRONS......

Hello

Hello ppl!!!

According to me singing n playing at the same time is not tough.
    U need to put in a lot of concentration. I am a beginner too:).
    I am learning guitar from the past 8 months in Bangalore. Actually the first song that i learnt to sing n play was Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. So wat i am trying to say is singing n playing at the same time is not difficult so try till u get it!!!!:)

Bye

17. jayanth

Lets first Draw the Line...... Ok Sorry aboiut the fuss.

18. vidhansinghai

vidhansinghai New Member

Excellently put Prash! It's just the exact experience one goes through while learning to sing. I went through the same. Well, actually, still going through ;-).

I'd like to add few lines. If the song has straight rythm (say down down down at the interval of 500 ms, or whatever ;-)), then it's pretty easy to sing. But it's difficult when it comes to rythms like (down up down down up up) or something like that.

So if you're starting, better start with straight downs or ups or basically any rythm that goes well with you. Another easy song is "Love is all around me" by Wet Wet Wet, or "Pyaar deewaana hota hai" Kishore Kumar (Kati Patang). You might find a little complicated strumming while listening to the original "Pyaar deewaana hota hai", but you can make it to straight downs and still sound good.

I'll post the chords of "Pyaar Deewana", if it's not in the Kishore thread (you'll find good and easy stuff there as well).

19. jayanth

This is one Song that we mastered.. Which i bet is tough to sing while playing.. Its called Toxicity by System of a down.. check it out..

20. beatles

beatles New Member

hi all
    thanks for all the suggestions..
    and for "pyar dewaana hota hain" i tried to play this song and happy to see (should i say 'hear'?) the result..
    thank you very much..

beatles :)