How to setup LAN?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by Devilshly_Pur$, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

well im not a networking guy..so just want to know the steps involved. :eek::

how to setup LAN between two computers (PC and LAPTOP) plz :nw:

Thanks,

2. jozko

jozko Banned

3. Thanks joseph..will try your link...but still its very confusing.... waiting for more replies...

4. alokmandloi

alokmandloi New Member

Xp

which operating system do u hav on ur comps....

5. PC with XP (P) and Laptop with XP (H)

6. alokmandloi

alokmandloi New Member

go into control panel ------there will be a network folder-----in that choose the

first of all u will need to connect pc and the laptop with a network cable
    go to control panel in start menu
    ------there will be a network and internet connetions folder-
    ----in that choose "network setup wizard'
    run this on both the laptop and the pc......

7. alokmandloi

alokmandloi New Member

first of all u will need to connect pc and the laptop with a network cable
    go to control panel in start menu
    ------there will be a network and internet connetions folder-
    ----in that choose "network setup wizard'
    run this on both the laptop and the pc......

8. r u sure? :think:

and what kind of cable i have to use to connect both?

9. alokmandloi

alokmandloi New Member

ya i am sure .....besieds the port for dial up connection there is a network port....there is a special wire for it...

10. i just wanted a simple networking for file sharing... not for internet sharing..

so is it ok with your steps?

11. alokmandloi

alokmandloi New Member

the steps i gave was for simple file sharing.......

12. ^ i have a simple lan wire with crossover cable(i guess :think: )..but somebody told me that the lan cable used with hubs and routers are different from the cable used for connecting two computers.... :eek::

13. cronix

cronix New Member

^just use a rj45 cable to connect both the comps and use the network wizard

14. jozko

jozko Banned

^ yes
    Devil what's the status. Aren't u a s/w guy?

15. ya Im a software guy but not a h/w eng.... dont have ne knowledge about this LAN stuff?

hey cronix... i will check it.. thanks

16. jozko

jozko Banned

devil ;-) s/w guys are expected to do home network. I thought it was done by now.

It isn't that difficult, i think. Even I did it, so u can do on your own for sure.

Assuming u have network cards on both systems

1. buy (RJ45, i think) connector cables. Go to a computer shop and ask them for crimped cables for networking two systems. They will prepare u one. Buy the length you want.

2. Connect the 2 systems with cable

3. Assuming network cards are properly installed on both, just run the Network Setup Wizard. It will guide u.

4. If there are firewalls installed, they might interfere. so better disable them first.

try it. any doubt better google. any help i can do, let me know

rgds

17. ohhhhhh thanks jozko..

18. jozko

jozko Banned

Devil, how do u manage to stay online most of the time on IGT? if i go idle for a few minutes, say when preapring a lengthy reply like the one above, i have to login again. Session gets expired, i think. I am using Firefox, any method to login once and stay logged on until i deliberately logout?

19. easy bro..just select remember me.... when u login at IGT.... IGT uses web cookies ...so it will create a web cookie on your system... simple ;)

20. jozko

jozko Banned

THX devil, I didn't knew it. I usually don't check such boxes in any sites. I thought doing so saved passwords thereby allowing anyone using the PC to login without password to my a/cs say email. A habit i formed from cafe browsing times. So that's the way.. thx for the tip.

LAN is up?