how to read music from a book - sheet music

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by cYpHeR, Jun 9, 2005.

1. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

ive been learnin how to read music frm a book......i ws just goin thru sm difficult pieces at the end of the book and tryin to play them.....those pieces had used a certain notation which i ws not able to figure out......it was smtin like two dots similar to ' : ' ......near the final bar line..... can anyone explain wat it means??

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

If you see two dots arranged like : , it means repeat the passage between the previous : and the current : . If you see this only once : , then it means repeat starting from the beginning.

Ofcourse after you repeat, you keep going ahead and dont get stuck in a loop seeing that : all the time.

3. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

ok got it...but like if i want to repeat a particular piece for more than one time then do we use the same notation...or smthin diff???
    like if i want to repeat a piece twice then do i put two : or there is a diff notation for tht...

4. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I am not sure about that but surely there's no other different sign for that. In a lot of newer notations they use 2x or 3x to denote the number of times a passage is repeated. This is marked above the :

5. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

ok cool....thanx man....reps