How to Read and Play Chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by laawaaris, Apr 20, 2006.

1. laawaaris

laawaaris New Member

I am not sure how to read the chords that should be played for a song.

Take this song - A Mere Dil Ke Chain - posted at https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=866

The first few lines say:

Am
    O mere dil ke chain

Am G Am
    O mere dil ke chain, chain aaya mere dil ko dua keejiye

How exactly do you strum these chords (Am & G) in accordance with the tune of the song. On the first line, how many times do you strum Am - once per syllable, once for every three syllables, continuously till the end of the line or what? On the second line, when do you change from Am to G and then back to Am? After changing from G to Am, what do you do during the rest of the words "chain aaya mere dil ko dua keejiye" - what do you strum during that part? How do you strum it?

Any help or explanation is much appreciated!

2. manstrings

manstrings New Member

thankx very much

3. seriousvivek

seriousvivek New Member

yaar actually da chords given like this "Am G ..." does not tell u how to actually strum , they only tell u da chord progression.

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

i hope u know how to play chords..for example Am is played like this:
    e----
    b--1--
    g--2--
    d--2---
    a-----
    e----
    all chords have different positions..i hope u know that??
    every song has different strumming patterns for example DUDUD or DDUUDU..these are the patterns..either u practise playing the patterns or with some practise u can just guess by listening to the song that what kind of strumming would be applicable

im sure ur confused...this problem of urs tells me that ur not able to judge the timing..that is when to change the chords in the song and NOT STRUMMING!
    to know when to change chords...u should listen carefully to the song and play along with it...after some months of practise u'll be in a position to know on ur own when to change the chord OR ...there are many chords posted in tabs forum which tell u when to change the chords in song..like when i post any hindi song's chords..i upload an attachment..so when a newbie reads it..he or she would get to know when to change the chord in song
    check this thread>> https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=20675&highlight=vini

uL find an attachment in it..if u read and play along..u can get an idea when to change chords

hope my post helps!

5. enable_vipin

enable_vipin Rhythm_Guitarist

@vini i think he doesnt know bout DUDUD or DDUUDU. or may be..

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

in that case...

D is downstroke of ur plectrum, strumming the strings
    U is upstroke

7. enable_vipin

enable_vipin Rhythm_Guitarist

ok

Am
    O mere dil ke chain

Am G Am

@laawaaris if im not wrong than i think u must be knowing the different strum pattern if not than search the begineers forums..u will find the stuff relating to that..

Am
    O mere dil ke chain

Am G Am

i have placed the chord right above the word where u have to change the chord. and rest u have to learn strumming because it is very important..