how to play without looking?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nitin_pai, Jan 4, 2006.

1. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

when i was just a month old( guitar age ) some thing nice happened .BLACKOUT . it was raining heavily and the authorities decided to switch of the electricity. luckily i had my guitar nearby i started playing my fav. ionian C scale. in pitch black. next it was a simple chord progression. " necessity ... the mother of all inventions ".

but you dont need to wait for a storm. just switch of the lights.( although you can do much better things with lights out, than playing guitar. dont get tempted. send your GF home and practice )

2. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

nice move man vish!! :)

hey guys one more thing i wanted to ask was in playing the single notes during lead.....
    i can play fairly use my 4 fingers to play the notes which are side by side on a single string..
    but i have found some tabs of songs which include notes way apart from each other sometimes on different strings and the interval between them in the actual song is negligeable....

eg: E3, B5, B6, E10...etc

how do u guys practice playing these scattered notes fast? can u tell some techniques to improvise on this....i have practiced on the blues scale but they were very nearby....

3. mr singh

mr singh New Member

there is an amzing book for any guitarist (mainly 4 classical/ acoustic) which introduces the guitar very nicely along with many techniques for playing... its called pumping nylon and is by scott tennet or tennant, 4 gotten which 1... i have the book, and it was perhaps 1 of the best introductions i cud have had other than having lessons which obviously helped

4. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

This thread is intresting ... I mean the stuffs like this happen ... and when the beginers know they'll have more confidence ....

5. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

somebody plz answer my previous question :?

6. vish_rocks

vish_rocks New Member

sariana kelvi....

nanda plz help. post #22.

7. seriousvivek

seriousvivek New Member

Yaar actually im also a newbie and to tell u the truth, my fingers r literally ****ed while practising chords.Don't worry dude , first pick up any 2 chords and play each chord 4 times and then change to another, do this repedeatly and then try to play da 2 without looking,ok.Dont try to play every chord , just pich up any 2 and then practice, then anyy combination of 2 another chords and so on.WHEN U GET FRUSTRATED AND FEEL THAT THINGH R NOT WORKING , DONT PRACTISE ANYMORE,TAKE A 10-15 MIN BREAK AND THEN START PRACTISING AGAIN. :) .

8. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey guys maybe u should go get a teaching lesson video .. By marty friedman , or paul gilbert , Vai , Van Halen or Zakk ...
    Its obvious u cant play all those stuffs now .. But u'll get an idea of how they move their hand across fret board ...
    The rule is 1 finger / fret ...
    And when u r doing slides ... If u r going back to a lower not ... Slide such that .. ex .. slide from 3 to 5 and then get back to 3 ... use ur ring finger to do the slide and use index to play 3rd fret ....
    no idea if this will help ... but many ideas like this when put together and implemented .. it'll be easy ...

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

The level of "scatter" varies from person to person.
    I wont consider 5th fret and 10th fret as too far apart. Infact if possible then U can stretch your fingers to play both on single hand.

Otherwise do what Nanda tells.
    Slide up or down.

Or if u dont like that slide sound, then jsut move your hands.
    The main problem that you are facing is beacuse your hands and fingers dont know what and where to play.

Your brain has to keep thinking and telling the hand and fingers what and where to do. And that leads to slowes playing.

Only way out: Practice. with intelligence. try to visualize.
    It will come with time.
    Dont worry too much.

10. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

hey nanda,
    brilliant idea man!!

i was really keen to know how to switch my fingers quickly and that slide technique is just hat i wanted to know.... maybe a little slide sound would be introduced but thnx for it....

i have a video tutorial by hal leonard and i did watch the finger movements...... but when seeing his finger movements it seems soooo simple..... coz it feels like he just slightly touches over the fret board like a feather touch and plays a perfect note.....

whereas when i play it that way i really have to put all the pressure of the finger on the fret board to make it sound nice or else i get a very weird resonating sound like a rubber band being pulled.... :)

do u know where i can find such improvosation techniques on the net..... coz such techniques really help in learning fast rather than finding my own techniques for practice

11. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

That's because it actually requires only a feather touch as most experienced guitarists will tell you. It's something one guitar teacher referred to as "The Incredible Lightness". With time and practice, you'll be able to play like that because for speed playing your fingers have to dart over the fretboard and light touches are enough...trust me.

On another note, you are aamchi right? Where do you live?

12. mr singh

mr singh New Member

nitin pai... the book i sed is very gud... jus thought id say, that if ur fingers r hurtin, then that can b interpreted in two ways... either ur method is incorrect, or ur trying 2 hard... the fact is, some "pain" shud b experienced, but it is important to no the difference between "pain" and tiredness

13. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

death metal - yea i am aamchi :) ....... i stay at vasai.... wat abt u?

mr singh - thnx for the info.... will look for the book surely :)

14. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

@nitin_pai ... why dont u install some P2P software like emule and search for guitar lesseons ... u'll get lots of them .. and get some stuffs by ppl like troy stetina ....really helps... /.//

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

16. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Excellent. I live at Wadala. As the_wizard suggested, check out the IGT Mumbai Members thread and keep your eye out for next Mumbai Meet. Hopefully you can make it then. The first two have been great successes and we hope to keep it a regular thing.

17. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

nanda - i downloaded the first video from a P2P s/w itself :)
    but the second n third video i tried to get turned out to be heavy rock stuff.... so didnt try any further

cud u plz suggest the names of the guys who have made the video tutorials for beginners on acoustic guitar... maybe then the search would be easy... i know only hal leonard

wizard - cool... thnx for the link :).... but wat do u mean by registering.... i am a forum member... is it something different?

death metal - wat do u do in the meets?... do u teach guitar? :)

18. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

nah just mention what gear u own, which part of mumbai u stay and what stuff u play :)

during the meets we have a jam sessions :)

19. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Infact i have no idea of guys who teach on accoustic .. But if u go to amazon and search u'll get it ... So then u can search the name on emule ...

20. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

due pai ,practice is the word..im due course of time with practice ul be able to play the guitar without lookin and also sing simultaneously...don worry...practice....