how to play without looking?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by nitin_pai, Jan 4, 2006.

1. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

the question may seem funny but i am finding it frustrating. ..... I know all the chords but i can play them only one at a time when the fingers are perfectly in postion.. one change in the chord and i have to take time to again place them in position..
    and not only this... for playing single notes i have to locate the string i am plucking with the right hand ... if i dont i end of plucking some other string

i tried playing simple chord changes like G - C - D for almost 2 weeks.. but still i cant change between them without looking my finger positions....
    im kinda frustrated with this....
    of course practice is the only solution but i would like to know about the techniques which would help me on this path..... plzz help ... plz tell me also about your similar expericences and how you overcame them... coz i seriously need some inspiration from u guys.. :)

thnx :)

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

2 weeks and you are already frustrated???

I hate to say this but d00d, seems like guitar (or any musical instrument) is not your cup of tea.

Regarding the "sans-look" playing of guitar, if u watch any live performance: even the guitar "gods" sometimes look at their guitars while playing.
    so what is wrong in that?

Besides, I know this sounds cliched but it is true, what u are looking for comes only with time. No easy way out. and definitely frustration is not the way out.

On a milder note: the reason why u sound frustrated is because may be u cannot realte what u are playing to what u mean to listen/hear from the guitar.

Tell you what:
    1. pickup up a few songs
    2. look for their chords / chord progressions
    3. Play and sing along.
    4. Singing along will compell/force you to play guitar in song's real time, rather than lingering on "difficult" chords
    5. This will also make you proficient in playing guitar while singing

uj_6string likes this.
  3. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

@alpha1....really nice advice....
    nitin....frankly....there is nothing bad at looking at ur guitar while playing......especially since ur new to guitar......
    if u are practising chord changes....i suggest that u 1st change them at a very slow speed.....and keep ur right hand(presuming u strum with ur right hand)in control.....even if ur hands dont reach at the chord....u have to strum.......YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN THE RHYTHM AT WHICH U R CHANGING THE CHORDS......slowly.....increase the speed of the rhythm.....start changing chords at a more higher speed.......like this keep increasing the speed and soon ull start changing them at a good speed....dtz the way i practice the chords....
    and do as alpha said.....try some easy songs.....
    dont get frustrated.....this will take time
    best of luck

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

well..this isnt some supernatual phenomenon.. all the newbies face the same problem..u neednt even practise specifically the chords w/o looking..just keep learning and progressing ur knowledge
    and one day..when u'd have spent good amount of time wid ur guitar uL discover urself playing without looking at frets or fingers..so be patient and keep practising!!

such problem should be considered when u have to play in a concert and sing along as well..like this happened wid me..i was just 2-3 months old at guitar and couldnt play wothout looking and i was forced to sing and play in our institute's concert..when the dday was approaching i realized that i would have to keep my chin up facing towards the mic when im singing then..how would i play w/o looking coz i was a newbie :shock: until and unless u dont have such problem..dont consider ur problem as problem coz it isnt a problem anyway :) all the best!!

5. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

If you're frustrated in just 2 weeks I'd say learning on your own is not your thing. Take up classes with a good teacher.

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Guitar is a really frustrating instrument. I had initially taken to Drums because I felt guitar is something I can never learn. Unless you have the real passion and patience, learning guitar is not going to be fun and not a good experience too. A friend of mine learnt for 6 month and knows nothing now. He feels bad that how he wasted those 6 months. So think about it.

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

temme........y DO u wanna play the guitar without looking......next thing u know u will want to ply the guitar with your teeth and behind ur back..........
    dude its just 2 weeks, stay away from the antics...........try to get ur basics rt.............

8. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

How to Play Guitar without looking

Step 1 : Play Guitar
    Step 2 : Don't Look

9. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

alpha1, uj_6string , vini, ronnieanand - thnx a lot for your advice...

i know 2 weeks is very less to get frustrated but it really is irritating to stay in the same place whithout achieving the thing u r looking for.. maybe i got some rethinking to do on this part... coz there are some of my freinds who havent learned even in a years time....... but i was trying really hard compared to them ...which made me feel frustrated... more bcoz i had to "look" at my hands... now since u have all told me its no big deal (i considered it big coz i saw the experts play it in concerts so fast instinctivly !!)....

i hope that i would surely improve within atleast 6 months.. :)

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

that my friend is the key word

11. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Exactly..do you think those guys became experts overnight..they have been playing for decades..
    As the AC/DC song goes "Its a long way to the top if you wanna Rock'n Roll":)

12. irri

irri New Member

dude u'll play without looking but with time and practise..like in my case i;ve been playing for abt 5 months and now i can play all those basic chords with my eyes closed.tc

13. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

guitarin is jus lyk mah profession da more u cook more u get bettr ..........u must av patience n passion i hardly get time to practise wish i had guitar in college days but i do practise ..........i took me2 month to learn how 2 tune guitar but it makes me happy now i can do it .....i took me 2months more for twinkle twinkle .........n it took me 2weeks finally to play my first song feel it in my fingers wet wet wet av patience n passion.......nevr do anythin in lyf cos u saw sum 1 doin gud at it :)

14. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Dude .,.. guitar is one instrument u cant learn ovenight ! Maybe on first day u can play something on others instruments .. But with guitar its not so ....
    It takes time and practice ... No one will ever know when they actually started playing ! Thats the way guitar is .... NEEDS TIME ....... And this is one instument .. i wouldnt prescripbe top ppl who cant dedicate time and have patince .....

15. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

yea u guys r right ..... :)
    i had a kind of liking for the guitar right from childhood but since none of my family members were indulged in anything related to music i always had second thoughts in buying it....
    but finally made up my mind to give it a shot since music is the better half for me...... and i wanted to play some or the other instrument in this lifetime... i thought of going for the keyboard which was very simple to learn but still is did not fascinate me as much as the guitar .... but now when i have bought it and i am unable to play it (actually its 2 months now ....2 weeks ago i tried to do the switching between chords) .... i had thoughts liek i shd have gone for the keyboard instead...

but since u guys are happy to learn it after a hard work n patience i think i shd change my attitude and challenege myself to perform more better ...... thnx for sharing your thoughts to all of you :)

.:SpY_GaMe:. likes this.
  16. uj_6string

uj_6string Nickelodean Addict :D

^^^^bravo......dtz the spirit!!!!!:rock:

17. sultan_of_swing

sultan_of_swing New Member

me god of ever-ready instant solution has answer 2 ur problem fuchha(fresh buchha)

try playing guitar in front of beutiful girl(if possible in skimpy dress) and see urself playing guitar without looking at it

18. nitin_pai

nitin_pai New Member

hehehe.... nice advice sultan...
    but i guess i would be doing something else rather than playing guitar in such situation ;)

19. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

Same was the problem with me. I couldnt change among chords without looking. I know, there is nothing wrong in looking at the fretboard but if you practice enough your fingers will automatically be placed at their positions and that includes barre chords too. Just a matter of practicing. Pick 2 chords and switch among slowly and then increase the speed. I usually warm up everyday by switching from A through G chords with minors. Like - A, Am, B, Bm, C, Cm and on... because those are the most commonly used chords. Also try playing the barre versions of each (ofcourse you have to play for B, F, Cm, Gm, etc)

Good luck and dont get frustrated...you will get better, 100 % sure !!!

20. DJCrunkMix

DJCrunkMix Get crunked up!

lol :) ... he he he...