How to Play Heavy Metal

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Harsh Kumar, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Harsh Kumar

Harsh Kumar The Official IGT Jester

How do i play with which effects to get similar sounds to linkn park and limpbizkit

What are the right gears that i should buy

Please give the brand names also

2. J.J

J.J The Guitar God

With an electric guitar of any good company if ya want ( Ibanez, Yamaha, Korg, Fender )
    and an amplifier i suggest ( Behringer, Yamaha or again Fender )
    and finally an effect pedal i gotta Zoom 505 II and that is good enough but u can get even better but for a newbie Zoom 505 II is alright and u CAN play all those kinda musics with it so enjoy...

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

haahaa ...
    for that nu-metal sound ... u will havta buy a guitar with humbucker pickups ...
    and you will havta buy Mesa Boogie Rectifier (Dual or Triple) Amplifier ...

which can set you back by min 6000 (guitar) + 25000/30000 (amp) ...

otherwise u can buy processors, which area available for 5000 onwards ...
    however if u are looking for only distortion/overdrive ... (and not any other effect like chorus/delay/flanger/phaser/wah etc ...) ... then better to go for distortion pedals ....
    which will be less costly ...

Unfortunately Zoom cannot give that Mesa Boogie sound ... i can guarantee u that ... coz i have used it ...
    KORG AX100G/1000G/1500G series can give the sound ... (again personal experience)
    i dunno about other processors ... (deathdr ... can help)

for distortion pedals ... there are other ppl who can help better ... (i guess Uncle Ron) ...

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

what bull**** replies.

first of all..linkin park and bands like them are not heavy metal,the music they play is generally termed as nu metal.

now, u havent given what sort of a budget u have.

im guessin for now..that u wont be lookin for somethin very expensive.

u will need a decent electric guitar, a small combo amp,and a processor.

i suggest-
    guitar--go for gb&a strat copy.
    amp-stranger cube 20
    processor--zoom 505,ax100g.

@sslayer--u have no idea how expensive single effect pedals can be.

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey, you are asking a first time gear buyer to get himself a Mesa Boogies Dual Rectifier amp. Do you know how much it costs. Actually Mesa Boogies is Mesa Boogies. None of the processor has really model it 100% accurate. If AX1500G can model a Mesa Boogies exactly then Metallica will sell their Mesa Boogies in eBay and get themselves Korg AX100G/AX1000G/AX1500G. A tube amp is a total different animal. All modellings are crap. I have played through most of the major processor and checked out their tube amp simulations. Have played through a tube amp too and there's no match at all.

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

LOL ... agreed ...

just said: personally i feel they are very close to Rectifier sound ... not that they are exactly ... anyway u cannot get the playing dynamics from the processor ... that u can only get from vacuum tubes ...

hey dharam praaji ... i also said Nu metal ... never said heavy metal ...
    the price thing is based on the prices of Boss/DOD/ProCo Rat/MXR pedals u get online ... compared to Processors ... most of 'em are definitley cheaper than preocessors ...

one more thing is that most of the processors and pedals are more "Marshally" sounding; thats y i said seleceted only few processors make that Boogie kinda sound ...

hey b.t.w. i cam to know that TallicA have changed their amp to someting else ... aint a boogie any longer ...

7. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

the best HEAVY METAL guitar in da price range of 500$ is the Jackson DXMG !!
    as 4 dist go 4 a AMT METALLIZER !

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

On Pedals v/s Processors in terms of cost. There are lot of things to consider. Let's take a good high end processor takes about $400 (Boss GT8). You can do a lot of things in it. To get it's equivalent in terms of the number of effects in pedal collection would cost you a fortune. Now lets look at it in terms of usage requirements. I for one would require a gear that has an Overdrive, Distortion, Delay, Wah and a Clean Boost. I dont require anything further unless I want to try something different. For this simple setup it could cost about $250 to $500. I am not considering all great boutique effects but some pretty good ones. For roughly the same price you could get a much nicer and more warmer sound with the pedals. The disadvantage is you are left with only this much. You cannot have a phaser or a flanger or a pitch shift or anything with this unless you buy additional pedals. So it just depends on what you really want. For a lot of jam sessions I'd just go with my Distortion and Delay alone. This serves the purpose of most of my playing.

Another ball game with pedals is that you dont have a huge variety. With a single distortion pedal you cannot get too many tonal variations. So a very common thing is buying, not liking and selling. This cycle really takes a lot of time and money and is really frustrating. My first round of pedals were a flop. Not that they were bad but not to my taste. My second round of pedals did the magic for me.

9. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

Wow, thats the best advise I've ever read....dick.

Did you know you could emulate the tones of a humbucker with single coil pickups by using various effects such as the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster? My friend plays his strat in a death metal band, and his tone is ****ing heavy. That's not the case though, you told someone new to heavy metal to go out and buy a ****ing Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier? ROFL.

death_metal_fan likes this.
  10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

:)

hey scary ... go and check out the question asked ...

it was ...
    "How do i play with which effects to get similar sounds to linkn park and limpbizkit
    What are the right gears that i should buy
    Please give the brand names also"

so i just told him whatever gear Linkin Park uses ...
    and man regarding Single coils and Humbuckers ... u should get your Basic Electricals fundamentals brushed up man ... LOL
    the reason why humbucker sounds diff from Single coil is not just because of the more impedance it offers (which in turn produces more voltage drop and stronger signal to the amp - which leads to higher overdriving of the preamp section) ... it also changes the tone of the guitar ... plus it also leads to cancellation of certain frequencies that are external to the guitar ...

if your pick-up booster can do all that then well ... mebbe we should all buy it ... instead of going in for the humbucker coils ... LOL
    (almost the same thing as Ron said about KORG and Mesa Boogies - refer one of his earlier posts) ...

11. Mr. Scary

Truth is, that thing works like a charm. I tried it with a Fender S/S/S type and i got some monster tones out of it, all you gotta do is alter the the gain on the channels of your Amp head. The thing gives you a nice whopping 25db of gain when needed,

12. Mr. Scary

I had to say something about the mesa boogie comment because it came out of someone like you. Noted you know your stuff when it comes to gear, but give me a reasonable explanation how you think someone who by the question posted it self is no doubt a newb to "heavy metal guitar", is going to be able to purchase a Dual Rectifier? When we all started on guitar we all wanted huge Marshall cabs, flashy guitars and groupies (well i did anyway)...

On this im going to have to go with Jared, start out low...not with something high end.

13. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah OK agreed LOL ...

14. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

@mr scary - im sorry thats a load of crap - evern with that pickup simualtor - single coils sound like crap if ur trying for a nu metal/heavy metal sound.... most simulators are so bad (jsut try the rp - its so bad ud die laughing hearing the sim)... ok lets see - normally an average guy whos into elctrics in indai has a budget of 15-25k. thats a decent budget.. now its a little difficult to get great gear but something decent in india bought at retail would be

a guitar with a humbuker in bridge position - either HH or HSH or SSH would be just fine(gb&a, johnson strat copy,etc.. or perhaps a second hand decent guitar for upto 12k.), a korg ax100g for 8.5k and a stranger m40 or soemthing for 5k brings u to 25k. there are several other possiilites - quite a few of which will probably be better - but this is a decent setup - and its easy to get... if ur ready to saerch second hand or try to get from abroad - ull get much better stuff...

@ronnie - we all know how many pedals u have ;) - it took u quite an expense to get ur setup!!! (im not saying mine was cheap either but still....)

@harsh kumar - dharmatmas setup seems nice - if u can - try to get the ax100g instead of the zoom - the zoom really isnt good- the ax is million times better... its got everything a beinner would need and sounds nice... 99% u wont be able to afford a great amp... just see if ur getting nething good second hand - sometimes u get good deals...

15. Mr. Scary

Yeah true, most pickup simulators do infact suck, but give the SD booster a try though, i find it to be the better of all the rest.

16. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

ufffff.............i can say nly 1 thing.........humbuckers rule in da case of heavy metal!