how to play and switch between the following chords

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by just_me, Dec 27, 2004.

1. just_me

just_me New Member

hey,,now that u guys know me,,here's my first technical question,,,i am playing guitar for 2 months now,,learning on my own,,,through internet,,,and today i know how to play and switch between the following chords:

Major : A, G, C, D, F, E
    Minor : A, B, D, E, F, G,

G7, D7, C7

But,,,how do i figure out the other chords like A7, A5, Ebm7,,,i mean how should i go about the thing now,,,

for now,,,i am trying to play songs which would have the chords that i know,,,what should be my next step in learning,,? understanding the chord theories,,,theoritically,,or learning new chords? and out of the thousands of chords available, how do i decide which chords i should proceed to learn,,,?

i am also learning the techniques like hammar on and pull off,,,and simultaneously,,learning to read tabs,,,

it's like,,there is a sea of shells out there and you dont know which one to pick,,!

please heeeellp,,!

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Learn to read tabs and try and play tabs of songs you like.

3. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

read stuff on music theory,scales,modes and intervals. Dont fall into the trap of blindly memorizing the chord chart finger positions for chords, spend time with the theory, so that you can just use the chord chart as a guide, and also be able to come with with your own chord positions on the guitar.

Jay

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Yeah i agree with jayswami.Learn chord theory ,learn from tabs. When i started out i was also doing finger exercises(1234 chromatics etc)..i felt these exercises helped me do what i wanted to do.
    but in the end u gotta do what u wanna do...dont force urself into nethin lest u might loose interest

jayswami likes this.
  5. just_me

just_me New Member

ya,,i think u guys r right,,i need to clear my concepts on chord theory,,thanx,,,i will catch u with doubts on that stuff once i start off with it,,!

6. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

just to add but when you do learn chord theory your going to have to learn scales theory as well both of them tie in with one another. i would suggest you start with scale theory (major scale) and then work out major chord theory. Since both are related you will begin to see so much more.