How To Hold The Pick

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by sayanakaharry, Dec 6, 2004.

1. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

hey guys you gotta help me out. ive seen loadsa different people hold picks differently. what suits you people most, especially when you're playin fast pieces over three or more strings? How exactly do YOU hold the pick?

2. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

i read some where that you should hold it with the tumb and the index finger, but it keeps sleiping on me so i reinforce it with my middle finger, but i also read that it's a bad idea....i would like to see some responses here too plz...

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Thumb and Index finger works for me. When I was newer to playing guitar, it used to constantly slip when playing rapid up/down strokes. You just get used to it with practice.

@Sonali: You're right..reinforcing the pick with the middle finger is a bad idea.

4. Sonali

Sonali ::>> Welcome <<::

thanks for the response dmf, guess i need more pactice....

5. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Thumb and index finger; with the other three fingers free... this technique is particularly suitable for pieces in which u have to tap and alt pick together.

6. esgallindeion

@ sonali, Try not to use middle finger if you aim to play fast and difficult pieces. For simply strumming I don't think it should pose any major problems.

7. sayanakaharry

where is the pick placed? is it placed on the first crook of the index finger and then held down by the thumb? and is there a slant, upward or downward?

8. esgallindeion

thumb straight... index finger slanting downwards at second crook from top at certain angle which changes as I play... the pick is at the first crook from top for index finger and 1/3 distance from the tip of the thumb to the first crook.

Note: position is subject to change depending on need and comfort basis.

9. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

i feel its a personal preference..
    though the traditional way is holding the pick with the index finger and thumb...
    steve morse one of the best alt pickers...holds the pick with his index,middle and thumb..
    then there are people who hold the pick with the middle finger and thumb ..and use the ring finger and index to double tap..
    i hold the pick at a slight angle coz the joints of my thumb are soft and tends to bend..
    anyway...
    whay i would suggest is go traditional and master pickin that way first
    and then decide where u wanna go.

10. death_metal_fan

Holding the pick slightly slanted will also make alternate picking easier although if you tilt the pick too much, the string will not sound "full".

11. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i never paid attention to this.. but now that u ask, i use middle and index finger along with thumb. cool so my picking technique is also screwed up :)

12. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

thanks dude makes me feel better. my picking style is like steve morse :rule: :p:

13. sayanakaharry

is there an optimum position of the pick which enables maximum efficiency in terms of both speed and accuracy?

14. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

Ya i Also was about to ask that is there any style wich can really improve our playing speed or gives us any advantage????

15. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

It's a matter of personal preference and i think the way you hold the pick changes with what you're playing. For strumming, i hold the pick with three fingers and while playing single notes i use the thumb and index fingers. I guess three fingers is a bad technique, but it works for me and i have had no problems till now.

16. death_metal_fan

I use the thumb and index finger regardless of what I'm playing. But that's only because I find maximum picking control when my right-hand middle finger is stretched out. I have no problem playing chords with either up or downstrokes.

17. tejas

tejas ..........

I always use my index and thumb. And it has been that way, since the day i started. Somehow reading this feels odd, cause i never imagined another way of holding the pick.