how to get rid of the picking noise?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by arnie_t8, Nov 9, 2010.

1. arnie_t8

arnie_t8 New Member

particularly noticable while playing solos....that too mostly on 1 n 2nd strings..
    is it because of my gear or my technique

btw my gear includes:
    ibanez grg 220dex
    roland cube 15x
    digitech rp50 ( i mostly use distortion of the amp rather than the processor)

its very annoying...help

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Pro-tip: Don't use a pick.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Everyone gets that noise while using the plectrum.
    check out your typical "shredderz" on the guitar ...

Pro-tip2: Use a violin bow !

4. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

Try reducing the volume and tone controls on the guitar. It wont make it go away but, it could reduce the the sound if its too much.

6. ultrabot90

7. shailm

shailm New Member

8. ultrabot90

9. shailm

shailm New Member

Love post rock stuff!
    on the video the ebow is used only on bass. ive got one, but its kinda a one trick ponyish. also need reverb and/or delay to make sound cool.
    it might be cool to have a sustainer pickup, though i dont know how much use id get out of it, and the fernandes ones are pretty expensive.

10. flood

flood New Member

dunno about sigur ros, the music is good but i liked them *before* they got popular.

the sustainer is the shit. seriously. my fernandes revolver pro 7 has the (rare 7 string) sustainer built into it, i need to set it up to work with the new pickup (JB) properly but on the whole, it kicks ass. you're instantly in michael brook world.

11. ultrabot90

DUDE. How good is it with chords? Any delay between the normal note and the sustain/feedback? How fast is the attack?

12. shailm

shailm New Member

"dunno about sigur ros, the music is good but i liked them *before* they got popular."-
    I dunno about that, love them. I thought, until their last album, it was all starting to sound too similar, but they changed it up well(imo) on the last album. They make me soo badly want to get a glockenspiel.

13. flood

flood New Member

i was trying to make a funny :-/
    ddddddddddddd
    you know, hipster hangup humour.

ultrabot90 - the sustainer doesn't sustain chords... if you play a chord, it will sustain one of the notes depending on which string resonates the best.

14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a sustainer and the EHX Freeze? Other than that the Freeze will sustain everything in the signal path.

15. ultrabot90

Curses. Isn't there anything else that could act as an infinite sustainer for both notes and chords?

Ha, I only recently saw the Freeze too. Description sounds like a sostenuto pedal for guitar.

Oh wait, imagine the madness that'd ensue when using the Freeze with a LOOPER.