How To Get A Long Sustain?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rust_in_pain, Jan 13, 2006.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

hi everyone,

people often talk about "i can get a sustain of 2 mins "etc etc
    i ve been wondering how to get a long sustain without using any compressors ?

looking forward to some ideas...

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

2 minutes? lol, man, what a pathetic liar. No-one can get a sustain of 2 minutes, and even if by some miracle you could, why the HELL would you want to hold a note or bend that long? For a note or bend i usually do a light vibrato so that the sustain keeps going, you might want to try that. For a chord, i have no clue, lots of distortion perhaps.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hey rusty,
    There are two components to the sustain.

1. Physical/Mechanical: This is your guitar's natural sustain. Unplugged Sustain to be more precise.
    The wood, bridge, neck and strings contribute to this. Ah, te body of teh guitar too.

2. Electrical: This is the sustain due to generation of electric signal from your pickups.
    Usually, when you put a compressor or distortion after teh guiter, what it does is to increase the gain.
    So even though your guitar's natural sustain might be dying out, the gain of compressor or distortion or both raises the signal strength.

Hence, you are able to hold the note for higher duration.

Therefore, all the components involved in electric signal play an important part: strings, pikcups, effects.

Well I dunno about 2 minutes sutain, but I have experienced this: If the susatain happens for too long (and you have distortion switched on), it leads to feedback. And you can make those interesting sounds/noise like Joe Satch makes at the begining of "Flying in the Blue Dream".

Ofcourse you may become deaf too.
    :p

4. shak

shak Harrr!

^ do i need to say anything now?
    but yeah .. 2 mins .. lol . thats nearly impossible ..
    try delay, compressor and echo .. if you get the settings right . you can get 2 min long sustain .. i remember i saw some guy at local concert using feedback and some combination of pedals to create loong sustain .. they finished the song .. he left the guitar on the stage with a note still ringing .. and when he came back after the tea etc .. the note was still ringing ..!!! haha

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I've already posted on this thread about the Sustainiac..it does give infinite sustain, even with clean tone. Also the Ebow.