How to do home recording?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by remi, Apr 21, 2005.

1. remi

remi New Member

Hi everyone
    I am trying to record MP3s at home on my home PC with microphone.
    I tried google to get some softwares, I tried Super MP3 it is very good but I am using a trial so it is only allowing continuous 40 seconds.

Can you suggest any good freeware or shareware for recording at home.

Remi

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i have seen many such posts, and i have noticed one common thing in all the posts..

lack of necesarry hardware.. u cannot record with software alone .. u need an interface.. and the default soundcard in your system its not meant for music recording. so you need to spend some money on the hardware first, and also ensure things like your harddisk speed.. it should be at least 7200rpm. ram.. cpu speed etc. and any audio interface will come with support sequencing/recording software.

Jay

3. remi

remi New Member

Thanks Jay, I have a Toshibha satellite it is quite ok, it is P4 3.2 GHz. Microphone also works fine considering I am just doing home recording. I tried recording using windows recorder it pretty sucks. So looking for a better way.

Remi

4. the_googly

the_googly New Member

5. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

what would u suggest would be a good (not very expensive) soundcard for recording music?

6. the_googly

the_googly New Member

There are a lot of options available..

you can try M-Audio Mobile Pre USB... It is about 135$ and supports 2 inputs

the PCI based ones might be cheaper... but USB is more convenient

then... you have to buy microphones... you can get decent microphones starting from 150$.. I started with a brand called MXL (cheapest)

7. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Why dont you guys check out my home recordings.
    Started my own thread.
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=8426

Tell me what you think of it . If u guys like it I have no problems giving u a step by step approach to home recording(with bare minimum equipment)

8. remi

remi New Member

Thanks googly, Jay
    I have decided to buy M-Audio Fast Track USB (99 $) and a microphone Samson Q7 (90$) from sweetwater.

Lemme know if I am missing anything like software ?

how is this site sweetwater(I checked ZZounds but felt sweetwater is better)?

Remi

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Creative sound cards are very good.

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i hav creative Sb live..which is still an old one.......and the recordings come out decent.......:) not studio quality but hey still quiet good for home recordings

11. the_googly

the_googly New Member

12. remi

remi New Member

Well I am trying to record Guitar practice and vocals on to my laptop.
    I found there are many types of microphone, I called customer support of sweetwater they said Samson Q7 would be fine with M-audio. They suggested fast track I squeezed my budget.

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i would trust what sweetwater says. i buy all my stufffrom them.. and tgier tech support is the best

14. remi

remi New Member

Jay, googly
    I bought m-audio fast track interface and mic from sweetwater. It came with some GT player - Live lite software and when I try to record it is record as a track file (asl format its own format).The software is quite complex and it is more of live mix tool with tracks.
    Also carton says interface is ideal for garageband and other software

Can you please suggest a simple software to record (preferably shareaware)

Thanks
    Remi

15. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

There's a program called dbPowerAmp music converter used for ripping music. It comes with a plugin called Auxiliary Input which records from various inputs. Thus you can record and the directly convert it to wave or mp3. (For more you need plugins).
    Download it from https://www.dbpoweramp.com/

16. the_googly

the_googly New Member

17. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

Well, if you want good shareware then you can try out Sony Sound Forge 8.0 or Sonic Foundry ACID Express.

18. remi

remi New Member

Thanks all for the response. I tried audacity and its works fine ..importantly it is open source.. Soon I will post my recording..

Has any tried GT express - Live Lite ..it seems to be good but it is for mxing and recording

19. skalahas

skalahas New Member

20. remi

remi New Member

I would say buy anything with firewire..