How to calculate the beats?

Discussion in 'Hindi Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by adeel zaidi, Mar 14, 2009.

1. adeel zaidi

adeel zaidi New Member

can any1 tell me how to calculate the beats and wat does it means that beat of 1/8 and 1/6 and how to play on these beats i m really very much confused so plz do tell me thanx in advance and replies will be appriciated lols

2. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

dude for learning this you might wanna know the basics of
    types of notes and
    time signature

Beats and measures:
    normally a couple of beats make a measure, beats are mere counts, while measures are a time-period.
    you dont calculate a beat....the beat is there,you count them, like say 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 and so on in a definite rhythm, each count becomes beats.

in a measure there might be 1 or more notes, either of the following types:

whole note: 1 note in 4 beats
    half.........: 2 notes every 4 beats (actually half duration as a whole note)
    quarter....: 1 note per beat, (if you play the guitar and pluck strings everytime you count 1 2 3 4, then its a quarter beat)
    One-eighth...: for this you need to use subdivisions, while counting 1 2 3 4, count them as 1&2&3&4&, in the same time as you would for 1 2 3 4
    then you hit a note for every count 1&2&3&4&, the notes become one-eighth notes
    Similarly.....1/32 th note n 1/64th notes r also used

Time Signature:
    Its the number of quarter notes(beats) per measure
    they are expressed as a ratio.
    most popular types are 4/4, 3/8, 1/4, etc
    You can calculate the time signature of a melody if you know all the notes in a measure.
    Just add the notes, for eg if there is:
    one-eighth note and a quarter note in a measure,
    1/8+1/4=3/8 which is the time signature.

For playing dont see the notes or type , just play in a rhythm, with counts and with proper rests wherever present..
    :)
    phew,...
    Rep me if you like!