How to begin learning electric guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by dragonball, Jun 18, 2011.

1. dragonball

dragonball New Member

I just got an electric guitar. As of now I have only started with ABCD finger dexterity exercise. I want to self learn.
    I want to know the sequence of learning things (like 1st learn this, then this, etc). Also how much time should be devoted to each / how to find when to proceed to next lesson.

Also some resources (youtube, any book) would help. I cant join classes.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There are two thoughts on this:
    1. First proceed with memorizing the chords and play them. Learn scales all over the fret-board and try to link the scales to the chords that you memorized.

2. Memorize the scales. Learn to transpose them all over the fret-board and form chords / intervals from these scales.

The first one is more amateur - but it keeps you enthusiasm intact because you will be able to play and sing along few basic songs. While you learn the complex stuff.

Second one is technically the way to proceed ahead. But no campfire songs for you till you reach the stage of forming the chords on your own. But the thing is - when you are in a position to do that - you can play guitar at any situation just by ear.