how much you pay/paid towards guitar tuition?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by madhura, Dec 1, 2004.

1. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

i don't think u need guidance to learn.....

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Different people, different opinions, desipride.....

3. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

desi bhai in my opinion u do need guidance otherwise u start with wrong basics and then those wrong basics could become habit which becomes difficult to get rid of

4. d_ist_urb_ed

Not using your little finger(referred to as pinkie by many members of our site) is one bad habit that haunted me for 2 years. Such things can be avoided in the presence of an experienced teacher.

5. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

well, it seems like my skills have turned out pretty good....i have pplayed ma guitar at the college indian show...came out pretty good...people loved it...wants me to do it again this year...and that was all without any guidance...

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

u dont have to be so obnoxious about it..
    a good teacher and proper guidance will act as a catalyst..
    just bcoz u didnt take lessons and became reasonably good doesnt mean that a guy who took lessons is any less talented..
    van halen didnt take lessons agreed..
    but petrucci did and hes a monster of a player too..infact he took formal music education..this was an example from both the worlds..
    if ur not good and in a slump...a good teacher will always get u out of it along with ur effort..

7. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

i Pay 150 Dollars

8. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

i payed 3000 bucks for 30 days (which were not even completed) and this guy dint teach me nothing more than playing four simple chords.. :(
    but my passion drove me to this point where i can even play some Joe Satriani stuff now..thats an achievement.

9. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

if u paid 3000 bucks and didnt learn except a few chords..then u were clearly ripped off ...ur passion drove u to learn joe sats stuff...thats commendable..
    but just one bad experience with a teacher shouldnt be ur opinion on all teachers..or perhaps u were a rank beginner when u went to the teacher..
    now that u know ur stuff u can check the teacher out for urself and decide whether he s good enough to teach u .

10. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

gud point dharmatma

11. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

R u forgetting the Great Mr. Hendrix......

12. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

passion is the ultimate catalyst. nice to hear of u 6string. even i have quite a bit of it.
    @6string.. how long have u been on the guitars

13. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

i was just givin examples from both the worlds..

hendrix was totally unothodox...and technically not that great..
    there are so many who play like him now..or rather sound like him
    he gets credit for startin it all and being an influence..
    if u want me to name greats or rather succesful guitar players..who have taken formal music education...there will be plenty..

its not about naming guitar players who have taken lessons and those who havent....
    its abt if YOU have to take lessons....my point was that having a great teacher and guide acts as a catalyst to ur playin..
    i myself was self taught before..then i took classes with a really good guitar player...and realised then that what i had learnt in abt 2 years..i would have learnt in abt 6 months if i had then taken lessons from him .
    im takin formal music lessons now...somewhat..and the material and the resources are so great that i would never have learnt it if i hadnt taken the initiative to take lessons ..

14. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

SIMPLY PASSION WONT TAKE U ANYWHERE..
    U NEED TO HAVE THE MATERIAL AND AN EAR TO FIGURE STUFF OUT..
    HOW THE HELL WOULD U KNOW IF ITS AN AM7 ARP....IF U DIDNT KNOW A DECENT AMT OF THEORY ....
    THEORY IS NOT VERY IMPORTANT I KNOW MANY PEOPLE WILL SAY THAT..
    BUT IF U KNOW THE RULES U CAN ALWAYS BREAK THEM.

15. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

R u kidding me...u think hendrix wasn't great,,,,u lost it man....that's right he has started it all,,,that is why he is the greatest....welll obviously, we have people now who can play like him but can't be the Great....and all point for this was that he taught himself how to play without any guidance.....and came out to be great.....

16. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

what do u mean by sayin that he became a great player without any guidance....dont u think jamming with experienced musicians..taking tips from them count as guidance...that can be called lessons...though not formal classroom lessons..
    i think hendrix is really good and he is great bcoz he is the one who taught us how to play guitar the way he did..
    and just bcoz someone doesnt think hendrix is god..doesnt mean that he has lost it..

17. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

and the Topic started out as was formal lessons...go back and review.....and i think, if u don't think the great hendrix is good..then yes, u have lost it....

18. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Hmm... personally I think Hendrix was a great pioneer guitarist. But I don't particularly hold him very high in my list of favourite guitarists. But everyone should be entitled to their own personal lists.

19. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

this thread was not about FORMAL lessons...it was abt some one who thought 20 dollars was a large sum to pay for guitar lessons..so i suggest u go back and review the thread..
    formal lessons are the people who go to a music school or a music college to learn their instrument.....
    takin lessons from a guitar player doesnt count as formal lessons..
    and pease read my thread carefully ...
    i said hendrix was good...but those who didnt think he was GOD...hasnt lost it.

20. d_ist_urb_ed

Alright, let's not flame this thread guys:shock: Calm down both of you dharmatma and desipride. Both of you have made your points.