how much you pay/paid towards guitar tuition?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by madhura, Dec 1, 2004.

1. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

i am learning guitar on my own but i found that my pace is too slow... so i was looking for tutor ....oh my gosh here in florida, there is this guy who charges 20 $ for 1/2 an hr. Can you believe it? .....
    one of my friends in india use to pay 500 Rs for month (4 days a week) , and i thought it was too much .....
    just was wondering and curious ...how much people usually pay for lessons?

2. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

I took lessons for 1 month before I realized playing chords wouldn't do me any good so I quit. One month's tuition was approximately Rs. 500. I've learnt guitar by trial and error, tips from friends, a couple of online tutorials and mainly messing around with it after that.

3. skaw

skaw snooze

NOT EVEN A DOLLAR .. !!! i have only paid time !! .. :p: ... be like me .. money is important stuff ... :p: watch where n how u spend it ... i don't want no dumb guy teaching me .. n the smartest guy is always in the mirror :)

4. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

^^^^ i agree

5. skaw

skaw snooze

DP did you pay anything to learn the guitar ???

6. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

I used to pay Rs 150 to this guy in New Delhi a few yrs ago... class used to start around 9 am and go on until anytime between 10:30 am to 5 pm... But then I stopped due to boards and then I went to singapore...

7. esgallindeion

By the way, now the only guitar lessons I have are in my college in the guitar club... we have a classical guitar teacher, who's supposed to be pretty famous... Alex Abisheganadan, an Indian race Singaporean... No extra payment...

8. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

ur not in india ...ur in the states..
    that price is not at all expensive..one of my friends who teaches bass guitar ..who is damn good takes 400 rupees per hour..
    the guy must be experienced and must have taken formal music education.
    but there are many posers..so i suggest u check him out thoroughly before joinin..also i suggest u go after say abt two months after uve practiced hard..coz if ur a rank beginner ur progress may be slower than if ur somewhere near intermediate..
    my 2 bucks.

9. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

hey madhura,,$20 an 1/2 hr is not expensive at all....my friend used to pay $80 per hrs...

10. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

no way!!!! not a single penny dude! it's not about the money but i believe if you want to learn something, u can, even without any1 teaching u....

11. esgallindeion

But at first its better to have someone guide you to make sure you don't make any irreparable mistakes in technique... I know someone who's quite good, but his use of his little finger is at best average, which brings him down a few notches as a guitarist.

So if you want to be a real professional, lessons are important.

12. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

yea if you are trying to become a rockstar!! but for a hobby, i think not.

13. esgallindeion

Definitely not, in that case... just enjoy making the mistakes as well... cuz thats the real charm of any hobby...

14. DesiPride143

DesiPride143 BEHAVE!

yep...u said it...

15. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

thanks guys for your valuable input

16. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

I pay Rs.600 a month for my lessons....2 classes a week

17. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

I had started off with my humble acoustic ... a Hobner Jumbo ... and used to pay Rs.400 for 4 classes a month ... since coming to college the only teacher i have is the net and myself of course ... both of which come absolutely and inconditionally FREE !!! :)

18. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

i made it much cheaper. rs 300 a month 6 days a week. that sthe time when i bought myself a givson jumbo. and here in college i m all by myself and frnz who play guitar

19. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Well, learning on your own's great, but still i think a good teacher is necessary to get the basics right.

20. aysh

aysh -|h3 ori9in4| (ui!aris-|-

you r damn right... infact i had formal training for just abt 25 days. it was good that i was passionate enough otherwise i wud never have learnt. when i went back to college i improved my basics just my seeking others advice..