how many types of scales are there?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by maaani, Sep 12, 2007.

1. maaani

maaani New Member

how many types of scales are there? ... we have to learn all of them ???
    how..

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

3. srakshit

srakshit New Member

There are only three scale types on that link, in fact there are hundreds of scales. No wait, make that a thousand. Or a million.

There is no point in learning all the scales. You need to know how to make the sounds work together. Scales are notes on a page, they don't make music.

You need to have the basics of scale theory in place, which is based on intervals. Then you can understand how they work in music against and with harmony.

I visited those two links, and IMO the Justin link is just full of shit, and just a scheme to sell products that give freely available knowledge for a price.

If you're really serious about learning guitar the groups and sites you need to be on are:

www.wholenote.com
    www.acousticguitar.com
    www.harmony-central.com

4. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah certainly JustinGuitar wont b that helpful for learning Scales but there is lot of useful information on it and is no SHIT.....There are many Video lessons as well speed development techniques xplained.
    Check out the Technique Section in it.......Worth learning everthing from that site.......

@Srakshit u have certainly not checked out that site properly..
    Its really good with really helpful Video lessons on it(for Free and with proper explanation)......

The links that @Srakshit has given are also good.. do check them out...

5. srakshit

srakshit New Member

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comment on the site. I don't like it, period. He's a probably a good teacher with a lot of youtube videos and page views. I do not like hitting a 'lessons' site and seeing a hundred ads for music products. I also see for example the effects pages hotlinked to manufacturers, and a 'teacher' who recommends brands.

It looks like a scam to me, like a movie with a lot of product placement.

To some, it will look like it informs you about products and options.

That is called a difference of opinion, and I'm keeping mine.

There's nothing in there that isn't available without the constant assault of advertising (which, I may add, is my profession and I find this form of advertising pretty much disgusting) or offers to find a way to play like the guy giving the lessons.

From the site:

I can't stand statements that a particular effects pedal is the best in the world. Come on, who're you kidding? And with spelling mistakes like a 16 year old would make!

6. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah all that u hav observed is true.
    But who cares about those Advertisements and spelling mistakes over there....all that we are interested in is Guitar lessons
    U shudnt be neglecting the stuff that he is offering. There is always something or the other u may find useful over there.
    And for Beginners that stuff is useful.

7. mymusicmyguitar

Yeah all that u hav observed is true. I do respect ur opinion.
    But who cares about those Advertisements and spelling mistakes over there....all that we are interested in is Guitar lessons
    U shudnt be neglecting the stuff that he is offering. There is always something or the other u may find useful over there.
    And for Beginners that stuff is useful.

8. maaani

maaani New Member

Thanks Guys... Thanks For Help..