How long have you been...............

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by rockboyteek, Jan 17, 2005.

1. rockboyteek

rockboyteek New Member

hey peeps.........how long have you been playin guitar and are u in any band???? :band:

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Round 'bout 7 months, and no, not yet, looking to form one though, soon enough.

3. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

10 years of stagnation
    By stagnation i mean,
    i started learning with full vigour and interest and my motto was to be the most outstanding student amongst my sir's disciples.
    But then I formed a band with some other "dudes"
    a gujrati dandia band, because we thought thats the easiest way to make money to buy better equipment. We made a lot of money but I regret that day now as i look back, because i hardly knew the major and minor chords, and once we started getting shows, our main priority was to learn songs and pieces from songs.
    From the day the band started doing shows in a bigger circuit, (1995-ish) i have hardly LEARNT anything NEW except some theory here and there. I have hardly ever done scales and ladders and exercises. GOD I REGRET THIS :(

But then, life's been good
    I play LEAD GUITAR a lot of Hindi music in a lot of local bands in mumbai (free lance guitarist)
    I play BASS with a mumbai rock bad called PYTHAGORAS and the RIGHT ANGLES (for those who came in late we've been out of the new music arena, and were part of the I-ROCK festival in 1996-7. We play a lot of Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden and Van Halen to name a few.

I currently also play BASS with a mumbai retro rock band called One Night Stand.
    We preform regularly at Not Just Jazz By The Bay. Our list includes everything retro from Beatles to REM, and one of our guitarists also included Black Hole Sun, claiming that its retro NOW :|

4. rockboyteek

rockboyteek New Member

Woah

wow thats a lot!!!!!!!!.......welll i myself have been playing for about 5 months or so........I aint in a band at the mo but may try makin one

5. shak

shak Harrr!

4 years.......

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

2 years. not in a band right now,no time at hand :(

7. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

@bandbaja.....amazing man...i didnt know u were in pythogaros....i was there in IROCK...i just happen to miss ur show. (damn! was high and got l8 there). nice to meet u here.
    @shahrukh....no band?

its been arnd 7-8 months, band? lets see...if it happens. its gr8.

8. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

I bought my Guitar when I was in class IV and learned for 6 months and left. And started again 1 year back. I practice myself. I don't have a band. I wanted to be a Guitar God but I couldn't and now I'm a man of Computer Science.

9. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

cool bandbaaja .
    i been playing keyboards since i was in 6th grade... dont remember when i picked up the guitar exactly.. but my guitar learning process was very gradual as i never practiced the guitar much.
    1994 we formed a band named divers do it deep in pune.. just played at the annual college thingie named addiction.. then I did nothing from 1996 to 1999.. except playing and improving my piano skills at home.
    1999 I joined a hindi band named all-go-rhythms in seattle, played with them for a couple of years.. first time i played hindi stuff in my life and it was cooll.
    2000 I joined a tamil band Geetanjali and discovered ilayaraja stuff.
    2001 I quit algorhythms, and went back to rock.. formed a band named DM5 with americans.. we were a classic rock cover bands.. played at some nightclub gigs. then i played couple of years for seattle's biggest and most popular hindi band shruti. I will be playing for them again this year.
    2004 I joined this cool english/tamil rock band east india company, and we plan to do some original work this year.
    on the sides i have worked with chandana dixit... she isa bollywood singer who sang a lot of top hit songs.. like shahar ki larki and husn hai suhaana etc. I have performed with her at the bumbershoot festival in seattle, and one bollywood kinda show.
    I have performed only as keyboard player for all these bands.
    Guitaring i just do at home for myself. This is the first time these bands are allowing me to play guitar.. i will be playing guitars for yun hi chala ja and allah ke bandhe later this year.. so am psyched.

10. shak

shak Harrr!

@FR..i was...but we broke up...cuz i have this tendency of getting out of control when doing gigs...i mean when i start my solos..i go on and on and on and it is difficult for other band memebers to follow my cues and keep pace with me... the last gig i did with my band ( the name was The Retarded Ravens)..i really pissed my band memebers when i did 5 minute long solo!!...LOLzzz..i remember the lead singer went off the stage and i could here my drummer cursing me from behind...hahaha...that was it!

11. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i started out when i was your age :p:

12. rockboyteek

rockboyteek New Member

Offf Topic

Woah Sanjay u dont have to use roman numerals u kno!

13. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

Roman numerals are in my default...... lol....

14. abt 7 months n hope to improve . play solo .no band

15. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

Jay
    I know Chandana Dixit. (Know as in I have heard her songs)
    Very nice voice indeed.
    Good to hear about your keyboard skills, would definitely like to jam with you, when i am there or you are here.
    Will also be reccomending your name to Sarosh my guitar Guru, who comes to USA very often with Trilok, L Sub, Ashaji and Shaan. who knows who can can help who.

CHEERS

16. aleric

aleric New Member

Started in engineering. Played for 2-3 months and left. After a hiatus of almost 3 years started 3 months ago. And it feels good to strum again.......

17. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

cool man i would love to jam with u too!!
    wow those r big names u r recommending me to! i dont know if i am that good! thanks dude.
    this is a jam session i had with chandana at my studio.
    I am somehow handling 3 keyboards ismultanously.. one playing druum+bass triggered by the chords.. at the same time i am playing piano... i have no idea how i achieved that.. she just said she gonna sing something in bhoop.. i
    have analyzed this jam again and again.. i have no clue how i achived this live..
    she has an awesome voice. its feels like u r listening to a CD when she sings :p:

https://vorlon.cwru.edu/~jayen/redirect/J/lage re.mp3

18. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Im been playing for like 2 months now, properly... so like, Im stil a newbie... and like, my real passion is drumming.. so like, Im waiting for my drum kit whichI'd probably get by March or so... so like, till then, Im vocals and crap rhythms for an inhouse band!

19. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

@ Shahrukh = 5 minute long guitar solos... ??? Dude, no wonder that people got sick of it...

P.S. Nothing against you, but like, 5 minute solos need good backing up and like, well, they aren't nicely handled by the crowds unless they are the nice crowd!

20. shak

shak Harrr!

^ ya..but the crowd was good..they kept bangin thier heads till the end..it was my lead singer who got crossed..i think he feared ignorance... :)..but anyways..back to topic..these days i jam with couple of friends at home..once we get to know each other a bit better we hope to start doing pub-jams soon...by the name of "blue butt monkeys".... :)