how long does it take to learn guitar

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by rads16, May 9, 2005.

1. rads16

rads16 New Member

Its almost 3 months since i held the guitar and I am still holding it . :mad: :cen: I am so beginning to lose hope and patience . My tutor is very nice .. a australian guy who has mastered spanish guitar and is teaching me classical guitar :shock: anyways i told him to chuck the classical part and start with my fav song 'nothing else matters' and i think now i am completely lost .. i just cant get this thing working .. i lose tunes so often . any advises please...

2. andystringer83

andystringer83 New Member

Well first of all don't loose hope hang in there. Second, just like everything else in this world you have to have a strong foundation and understand the basis man.... . Start of with something simple, very very simple ( simple song that is) like a three chord song..... then one you get the feel of it, go for the big ones like 'nothing else matters' .

3. spencer

spencer New Member

Frankly speaking! If a person wants to play guitar he should have an inborn quality of music(Sur). I have seen many guys who just want to play because they have seen people playing it. And it doesn't work al all. I can't explain it, it comes by own. You are lucky that you have a mastered guitarist. All I can say is just feel the music from deep inside and it'll automatically come to the tune.

Stay tune!!

4. rads16

rads16 New Member

hey guys thanks a lot .. well i have been into music for quite some time now .. though wanted to learn guitar since childhood ... but couldnt for some reason or the other .. they say age no bar for learning anything in life ..moi is reachin 25(uffffff).. u think the flexibility would work on the fingers now .. ????

5. andystringer83

andystringer83 New Member

I totally agree with you spencer, "music should come from within and music should be played by the ear" . Rads look dude you have a professional classical guitarist teaching you man, to be honest with you dude I never had that opportunity like that, had to learn on my own.... take it one step at a time and go with the flow and be patient (listen to GNR's patient's and youll know what i mean ;) . :rockon: brother.

6. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

Hey Rads, i am also learning classical guitar since 9 months now... i travel 45 kms(and i am talking delhi traffic) just to get one class of 40 min once a week and i am paying quite much for only that....but man if u seriously want to learn guitar have patience. just stick to basics and try open chords chords or simple licks. thats the way to do it otherwise i suggest you to choose keyboards or something because take tthat saying correctly that after years n years of practise, you only master the basics of guitar.
    also all the best guitarists comes from classical background only.one more suggetion....reading music is the most important thing you should learn while you hold your guitar

7. shak

shak Harrr!

Q:how long does it takes to learn guitar?
    A:A LIFETIME.

8. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

you can never 'master' guitar ... it's music .. u can't master it ...

the chords major, minors .. would take some 6 months ... that's how long it took for me !

try playing the guitar every day ... atleast for some 10 minutes ... if u give it a break thinking 'not today, maybe tommorow' and 'try again' ... everything will seem new...

even if you have been playing guitar for a long time .. and all of a sudden give it a break ...and go at it again ... it will feel awkward and will take sometime to get the rhythm back ...

when u start up ... it can be pretty sick, i know ... just hold on to it .

9. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

It took me about 3.5 months to play and shift most chords smoothly and quickly (means barre, power chords, major, minors).

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Why dont you ask you Australian teacher to chuck every lesson and ask him to teach you Hangar 18 or those extreme Arpeggios of Yngwie. :shock:

Learn the guitar first and then learn the songs. The way you say, it sounds like you still haven't got a feel of the instrument. Dont bother about learning songs now. In fact learning songs is the worst thing about learning the instrument in the beginning. I had a bad experience. On the other hand, learn the instrument well and you will nail the songs by yourself.

11. ronnieanand

On time it depends on how much you want to know and how good you want to be. It took me 6 months to learn to hold the guitar, play a few chords, scales and songs and get on stage as a Lead Guitarist. It was a small stage though.

12. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

^^Well said.

13. rads16

rads16 New Member

This is motivational Indeed :p: Respect guys :nw: this has lifted my spirits ...More than anythign else I need patience the most .No Pains Without Gains . Will be There soon :band:

14. rads16

rads16 New Member

Neither a dude nor a brother :mad:you got the wrong gender hunk!!! :eek::

15. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

its all on how much u practice....no one knows guitar completely....u keep on experimenting all ur life and discover new sounds......but tht can only happen once you become familiar with the basics.....

16. cool_is_rule

cool_is_rule Lead Guitarist

As i wud like to say , no one can be perfect in guitar never.
    Keep practicing.

cOoL iS :rule:

17. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

i'm guessing the stage was big enough for only one person :p:

theguitaristofm likes this.
  18. ronnieanand

Wish it was only me on the stage. Unfortunately it was a 5 member band and we played to a small crowd of around 150 people. I still remember that my fingers were shivering as I about my play a solo from one of my very favourite songs. That was the solo I practiced a lot and that was the one I screwed it up on stage as two of my string bends were not good and it sounded out of key.

19. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

In any field where you have to learn.

it takes whole good one year to be OK at it.

2-3 years you'll sound good...i mean just good.

10 years to be really perfect i.e perfect. :)

Read a book called 'Mastery', very nice explanation about how the stuffs i just mentioned had got so much of truth.

Experience is the best teacher.

20. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

surely a lifetime is less for learning.
    but 6months is ok for gigging(small ones though)!!! :p: