how is power chord denoted?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by dj_erik, Jan 14, 2006.

1. dj_erik

dj_erik New Member

eg: GM is the g major chord so if i want to play play G power chord should i write G5.... me is confused?
    wat notations r given for power chords?
    is there any sequence in power chord by shift'g onee place of da fret.... lik we play normal chords F,F#,G,G#............

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

G5 means playing G and the fifth note i.e. D
    these notes together make the power chord G5

3. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Hold the G barre chord and play only strings 6,5,4. Like barre chords, these are also movable.

4. dj_erik

dj_erik New Member

so if i play strigs 6,5,4 the is it power chord????

5. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Power chord is nothing but root and fifth .. so for D power chord you write D5 .......

6. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

@dj_erik: remember power chords dont sound too good on acoustic -- they're 'meant to' be played on electric.
    Also you gotta strum 3 strings alone. Go thru the artice - given below -- dont worry its a short 1 page article -- and I hope u'll be pretty happy after reading it! -- it'll also answer ur question about the sequence in which u play power chords on the fret-board [basically u just gotta be familiar with the positioning of the keys on the 6th and 5th strings - and u use these keys as the position of the root node and place ur index finger accordingly]]

so chk out:

https://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa092600c.htm

7. dj_erik

dj_erik New Member

wonderful link...now i can play my own power chords....
    must c for alll....
    hats off to sixstrings.....and also others lik alpha ...sapta shaw ...nanda...