How important is rhyming technique.

Discussion in 'Poetry and Lyrics Forum' started by walk_alone, Feb 9, 2006.

1. walk_alone

walk_alone **~~| An Atheist |~~**

A poet is not one who can compose poetry -the highest, noblest, art form ~it is one who is so exalted that can passionately feel what can be beautifully expressed as poem.

The techniques, which are many, do not make poetry -they, mostly, at best, enhance it ~similarly to this, that no amount of skill in mixing colours, no matter how much technique in application of the paints on the canvas, would necessarily, or ever on its own could, make an artist or a beautiful painting.

Do u need technique in order to compose poems. Many books and courses on poetry will tell you about techniques, and many will, indeed, regard them essential in writing poetry.

Poetry is the expression of the poet's passion beautifully -it is not something fixed

Do the verses have to rhyme? Technically speaking, no. Technically a poem is simply elevated composition in prose or verse -beautifully written prose can also be called a poem ~poetry is the expression of elevated or beautiful thought or imagination or feeling in appropriate language.

What is elevated..? It is picturesque or lyrical -or high winded language ~ it is expression in prose or verse of the kind that does justice in making the passion of a thought or imagination or feeling be transferred as excitedly as felt to another…

What is beautiful..? It is the quality that delights…

And appropriate language? In language that the reader will understand as well as that is acceptable and will not put the reader off by belittling in the reader's eyes the composer of the elevated and/or beautiful prose or verse as lacking in manners or as so ignorant as to be incapable of expression in other than by use of e.g. 'four-letter' words if there does not exit between the poet and the reader such intimacy.

What do u say guys....is Rhyming important?

2. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

^^ i think u got inspired after reading my crappy poems...hehe....

3. walk_alone

no dude.....u r one of the better writers i have come across, u rock...and doesnt matter wat u write till the time its u who writes it.

4. nimisha

nimisha .:Forum Leader:.

for me....three things in poetry are absolutely necessary......

1. rhyme
    2. expression
    3. continuity n flow in the thoughts

writer shud know...wat he wants to tell readers....
    the thoughts shud be well rhymed...
    rhyme shud not be there for just sake of rhyming...it shud have continuity of thoughts too....

the most important factor is originality.... that will keep ur audience interested in ur work... :cool:

abhimanjrekar likes this.
  5. madhuresh

madhuresh madhuresh

rhyming ...verses structure all r good thngs ...i feel if u feel like doing it do it if not then dont...see if i remember correctly a poet khyaam, said " Nazuki laboon ki un ke kyaa kahiye, pankhudi ek gulaab ki si hai"...now more than 100000 people must have thoght this thing and written this way.. only but the reference context and mood is dipicted by the way u present ur self and these infrastructural blue prints r at ur survice to be exploited to ther best if u have never met these people its ok u will get ur own and if u have ...thy r reliable survants squeez their assets ;)

6. astroguru26

astroguru26 New Member

i completely agree what the nimishaa has said...........it does not matter whether the deliberate rhyming is created...........or just fluke...........if it connects the readers through the words...........its success for the writer

rohit
    astroguru26

7. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

how about some exceptions ???? :p: :p:

8. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

Sure, rhyming is a key aspect in poetry....BUT only if thats what the poet wants. But the essence of a poem doesnt lie there..it lies in the words and the imagery that one creates.

If free verse works for you, dude. Then stick with it. There are plenty of poems out there that burst with life..and theres no set sequence of rythym in it.

Dont let that be an obstacle..write and let it flow.
    And make it special..for all of us ;)

Now THAT's what I say!!!

9. walk_alone

I totally agree with Petunia,
    its not really important to rhyme the verses but some how i feel that a well rhymed poem is very very attractive and interesting to read.It keeps the reader interested in the poem also.

But a person who knows thing or two abt poetry can easily identify the emotions with any type.

Wat do u say guys?

10. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Most of the things that you said make a run of the mill, stereotypical poem which looks like nothing more than a paralell to "how to make a song" to me.

And in my opinion, rhyming is optional, you dont have to do it just because you want to write a "good " poem. If you feel that something else can take its place, dont hesitate to put it in.

Dont hesitate. Thats what i think.

11. Varshita

Varshita New Member

As long as the thoughts rhyme... (read as maintain a flow)... rhyming of words hardly matters !!
    :)

12. Sharmontime

Sharmontime New Member

and more importantly the words used for alliteration should ofcourse make sense properly and not leaving the reader confused. i.e., should be relevent enough.
    yeah i agree that rhyming does sound good and is one important attractive factor, though not a necessity.

Sharmontime

13. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

No, you could use abrupt things to your advantage. I call all these "rules" or "techniques", limitations.

Its almost like saying that every song must have a chorus or something like that.

14. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

WHAT?

about agreeing with me!???
    I SAY REPSSSSS!!!!!
    :grin:

15. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

in that case...'whatever u say mam'..^^
    baah.......... but ne way...i personally think...rhymin should be the last priority....try writin some free flowin stuff ppl....thats what moves the insides.....(mine atleast!!).and thats when i think poetry's at its best!!!1

16. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

@ tax... read my post one more time..budd! thats exactly wht ive got...

walk_alone likes this.
  17. Sharmontime

Sharmontime New Member

now read this and tell...

I THINK OF WHOM? or WHOM DO I THINK OF!!!

Bad whoever she be
    Builds up a feel of queen bee
    My hair, which i never cared to comb
    My heart, which she made her honey comb
    For what-so-ever reason she doesnt leave my heart,
    But when shall she know that i'm a dirty brat.
    She rules my mind for the whole of the day
    And in the night, doesnt keep nightmares at bay
    Yes. she's a nightmare
    Eyes of whom is impossible to stare
    I never wanted her to be mine...
    But love wins, she'll never resign.​

hows the rhymin technique here... ;)
    sometimes they are unnecessary but intentional.
    i wrote this also long back..but never tried to show to anybody, the reason being obvious.
    i re-read this so many times only to understand this is not good. :p:

if you like this one , pls tell why. :think:

Sharmontime :cool: [TM]

18. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

damn...i overlooked it all together.....ooops!!! :eek::
    but yeh...u got it right too lady....i guess great minds think alike.... :beer:

19. Petunia

Petunia terminally dorky

@tax: hehe...they sure doo!!!