how i could improve my strumming

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Natasia, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Natasia

Natasia ...

hey ppl...
    i was just wondering how i could improve my strumming...did look at cyberfret.com as u ppl had suggested in some earlier posts...but it didn't help much...maybe i didn't look at the right articles....in anycase...what i wanna know is that ....till now...i've only been playing u know down strokes while playing any chords... :eek: ....but now that i've perfected that i can't quite get the other techniques right...i mean if i play like any other sequence ..like an up down down up thingee ...whenever i try and strum upwards the resulting sound doesn't sound right...is there any particular way of holding the pick etc that might help...........
    will be gr88ful for any suggestions....

2. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

3. Natasia

Natasia ...

thanxx a ton for the link prash...will follow the technique given there.....and if that doesn't help..i'll get back with a more specific question :)

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Its an art called Plectrum work.. change you plecs and use softer ones.. It will help..

5. Natasia

Natasia ...

thnxx for the advice ppl....hey prash they slanting of the pick thing has mae the sound better...but i guess i'll have to go for change of strings...the sound is becoming increasingly jarring

6. karthik_b

karthik_b New Member

first and foremost check if u have a spanish or an acaustic guitar. spanish guitars have nylon strings and need a soft pick and acaustic have steel strings and need a hard pick. concentrate first on extracting a good clear "rringg" kind of a sound. if u r satisfied then only go for the rythym in a slow and step by step process. let me know if it works.

7. Natasia

Natasia ...

i have an acoustic ,,,,and i'll keep the advice in mind thxx karthik

8. jayanth

The type of pipck depends on what type of music you play and not the type of strings..

9. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

ya right....and a spanish/nylon string guitar is usually finger picked, not played wit a plectrum/pick ;)

10. jayanth

No such rule.. When you need to extract different types of sounds, you need to use fingers/picks accordingly..

11. Natasia

Natasia ...

hmmmmm...... thats loads of info thnxxx guys..... y the way jay was just wondering.... what r the diff kinda picks used n for what kinda sounds?????

12. jayanth

For Lead I use Stubby-3.0mm
    For Rhythm I use Pyramid Soft.
    For Acoustic Lead - I use Jim Dunlop Gel XH
    For Acoustic Rhythm U use Butterfly picks.
    For Bass I use Pyramid Bass or Gel XH or Triangular Stubby.

13. learner

learner New Member

:nw: so many types of picks
    i didnt even knew that somany types exist :shock:
    mine is pyramid soft,(i guess :think: ), seems good enough to start with!

14. Natasia

Natasia ...

thnxxxxxxxxxx jay..............that was very informative

15. jayanth

Where did you get the pyramid Picks from??

@Natasia Glad to help..

16. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

jayanth ...you seem to play everything.....
    lol....
    i tried bass once but all the sliding got to me....
    the guitars female remember?? :eek:

17. jayanth

He he.. Actually for a long time i was playing solo.. some thing like joe Sat/ Steve Vai and stuff. So I had to record every instrument and play leads on it.. So i picked them all up..