How i can reduce the buzzin or straighten the fret board

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by BleedingMusic, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BleedingMusic

BleedingMusic New Member

hey ppl...
    i ve got a problem and need help...
    few yrs back my guitar fret got bent (its an acoustic guitar) and thers been a buzzin sound when u play the last frets(near the sound hole)...
    this was my bros guitar n i began usin it recently...
    now there is too much distance between the strings n the fret board n the buzzin is iritating..,...

can any of u ppl tell me how i can reduce the buzzin or straighten the fret board.....
    pls help me...
    waitin for answers...........

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Pictures will help! I dont understand a thing....

3. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

Neck warps are common around season changes especially if your guitar is left exposed to the elements. In bangalore its quite pronounced because seasonal changes are quite wide, but in your case just go see a luthier to fix the problem. You need to adjust your truss. DON'T do it yourself

4. BleedingMusic

BleedingMusic New Member

hey thanks tallkien... but i m quite new to guitaring.... so whos a luthier n whats a truss???

5. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

a luthier is the person who can fix ur guitar.. a pro.. just take it to a guitar shop..

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah, since you dont know what a truss rod is ... its better that you take it to someone who knows about it.

hahaha
    No seriously, take it to a guitar shop. They will mend it.

7. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

truss rod is something which keeps the guitar's neck straight,it is accesible through the area where the tuners are located(headstock of a guitar), or it may have an soundhole access,

the rod is a long screw in fact, which can be rotated with the help of a wrench ,it adds tension if rotated clockwise,ans relieves tension when rotated anti clock wise , u need to turn the rod clockwise, but dont try it at home, especially when u don't know what a truss rod is......it can break, (and then can be used as a flag pole)

and u are saying something entirely diffrent when u say that the frets r bent, ur problem is that the neck is bent, frets are the metal wires on the neck of a guitar,

8. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

a luthier is a person who makes and repairs a guitar,
    and a guitarist is a person who plays the guitar.

take it to a shop they may mend it

if urs is a givson or some other local it is very impossible that the truss rod works still give it a try.
    otherwise keep some books on the guitars headstock(not too heavy) and some on the otherside(to balance it) and leave it for about 24 hours

ta da ur neck has straigned and try not to tune ur strings too tight next time

even i have a givson whose rod dosen't work, i correct it this way.

9. BleedingMusic

BleedingMusic New Member

hey thanks ppl.... yup mine s a Givson, so thanks for dat tip sourabh..!!

10. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

oh!!!! dammm it i forgot to tell u, u have to remove all the strings before keeping the books,

they have to be kept something like this

and also give some support to the heel (heel is the triangular area just wher the neck is joint to the body

11. baadshah

baadshah New Member

haha...more about truss rods here eh...theres another thread talking about them (i forget what it was called...). alpha1, have you adjusted one before? i have a temptation of using my old guitar for trial-and-error...its the only way to learn.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

I have adjusted few weeks back.
    Without any prior experience.

And without any prior apprehensions.

13. baadshah

baadshah New Member

aaah, i see. was your guitar worth the prior apprehensions? im beginning to see how much more valuable guitars in Canada seem to be. as people are saying, the "scene" is different. i paid 31,864.02 rupees for mine, except in Canadian currency. people there are willing to pay the same amount as i would normally pay for a set of strings for their guitars and call them "decent". but that's relative too i guess. truss rod adjustments are under the warranty, and they're adjusted by professionals. now why would i do it myself?

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Then put it that way.

But India is not equal to Canada.
    You wont find "professionals" here who would do the adjustments, and also not affect the guarantee/warranty.

And Rs 31K guitar is not that expensive in Canada as Rs 12-15K guitar in India would be. Considering Indian incomes vs Canada incomes.