How Fast CAn u Play The GuItAr

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by BIG_EVIL, Jan 8, 2005.

1. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

this thread isnt abt being better than anyone

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Taxyse,
    Quarter notes mean 16th notes. Legato notes at 208 means for every beat play 4 notes which means 16 notes per bar at 208bpm which makes to 832 notes per minute. I can play Legato at that speed but it hurts to play it for long. If you thought it was a easy then you must be :nw: . No kidding. There are lot of guys here who play damn good.

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey i can play more than 1000 notes per minute ...

but yeah i wont change my fingering on the fret during that :p ...

4. ronnieanand

Then it's only picking at 1000 per minute or quarter notes at 250bpm. You still are super fast. My picking drags like crazy. I hardly can pick any thing comfortably. Only my left hand moves. My right hand is like there's a 100kg iron block hanging when I am playing. I get frustrated about it at times.

5. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hahaaa ... dont go by any statistix ... i just made 'em up ... i dont think i can play fast ...

i dont use my hand to pick ...
    only thumb and indexfinger and move or actually "contract and expand 'em" ... somehow even i am not able to move my hand or wrist ... seems like "here's a 100kg iron block hanging" ... very true ...

but i cannot move my left fingers very fast ... i dunno if anyone else has experienced it but my palm (yes palm) starts hurting ... not exactly hurting but starts getting reeaalll uncomfy ...

6. ronnieanand

If you left hand aches when your play fast, then it's surely a wrong posture of holding the neck. I had this problem before. When I start playing fast all of the sudden my left hand palm used to ache, then it's used to stiffen up and this stiffness goes up all way upto my shoulders. This used to happen as I approach 170bpm and then after this stiffness for the next few minutes my max speed will drop to around 70 to 80bpm. Was getting frustrated because even regular practice did not help. Then I just experimented a different left hand posture after seeing Ritchie Kotzen play and then I immediately went past 200bpm without any pain. If you want to know the right posture for playing fast, check out the way Classical Guitar is played. It's age old but very scientific that helps you to stretch a lot and also play fast with little difficulties.

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

im having the same problem - im stuck at 170 for 4 notes per string excersises (like chromatics and my hands really starts to hurt after a while) and 190 for 3 notes epr string excersiese- icaould go faster but iwant to move both together and not practise 1 too much faster than the other....

um.. whos rithie kotzen.. can u name the video or watever u saw that helped u out - ill be really obliged...

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

is this ritchie fellow the same who was there with Poison and then Mr.Big ...

anyway lotsa thanx for the advice Ron ...

i have observed that the "discomfort" is there usually when i play the guitar standing, but while sitting it is more comfy ... guess the neck holding has to be the culprit ...

hey the classical guitar (as far as i remember) is played with the guitar body on the lap between the legs ... and the neck angles real high ... like Ritchie Sambora plays in "Thank u for loving me" VDO ...

dunno how the same can be emulated while standing ...

9. ronnieanand

Ritchie is the same Ritchie Kotzen who played with Poison and then with Mr.Big. He plays killer Legatos. I am almost his personal student :dance: . I used his VCD for private lessons :p: . Anyway it was Rock Chops. Absolutely wonderful one. Very good and usable by anybody..

I meant the classical posture in holding the neck not the general guitar holding position 'cos there's no standing posture in Classical Guitar playing. Forget their fretting hand when they play Classical Guitar. That's the easiest way to play without getting hurt. It doesn't give good and strong vibratos, otherwise it's great. For strong vibratos and great bends Blues way of holding the neck which is also called as Base Ball club posture is better. Infact check out guys like Steve Vai, Ritchie Kotzen, Michael Angelo. All of them use the same classical way of holding the neck except when they do strong vibratos. Infact Ritchie Kotzen does good vibratos in the same position only. When I tried that way, I felt there was a tremendous lack in feel playing that way. So I use a combination of both the methods. Except for stretches and fast playing I always prefer the Blues way of holding the neck. Suits me.

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

In my very limited expereince I feel its all about being able to switch to the correct position(blues type or classical) at the correct time..(plz correct me if I am wrong:eek::)when I began with chords and tried stretching using my pinky it wouldnt work coz my thumb position wasnt conducive for it..I couldnt stretch to even 5 frets and used to blame my very small hands..then switched thumb position and lo!..5 frets was possible(have to get the finger strength up though)...

11. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

my right hand tenses up...my speed too aint too gud, triplets at 170(comfort level)

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ron i tried with the classical position ... and i belive that earlier also i used the same posture (but dont remember for sure) ... anyway since i played after approx 1 month ... it did hurt and i even tried playing fast (haaahaaa - i am a masochist) ...

i tried classical vibrato ... it sounds so diff ... actually i like the sound of it ...
    but true ... if u r pinching harmonics ... then the bloos style of vibrato is better ...

13. ronnieanand

For Subtle vibratos you can go with classical position. For for agressive vibratos you will have to go with the Blues style only. By the way you need to work on for some days with the classical position. You cannot get it in a single day.

14. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

<yeah i know this thread is not about being better than somebody else...and i am not claiming to be one either.....if my posts sound like i am claiming to be a very good player...please forgive me all...i have no such intention..>

@ronnie...no man...quarter notes aint sixteenth notes...i still stick to my definition......

and i think if u ppl's hands pain....u aint got enough strength.....from what i think-SPEED=STRENGTH......
    and am confused bout the fretting hand grip too.....i mean should i use the thumb like i am giving my fingerprints on the back of the neck.(pressing through the TIP of the thumb)...or should i grab the neck with the inner side of the thumb lining encircling the neck...(like a total grip)..?????/
    i never saw ne instructional video ...i have just seen some song videos...they didnt help at all.....<sigh>

15. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

^^^^^^^^okies..........batio is used 2 grip in the 1st method..........to use pinky while performing those speed kills............i saw 60 mins of his instructional video.......and he also recomends it......................

btw fr me.........tht 2nd gripping is better.........if i dont wanna play wid ma pinky......or playing any good old solo.....(LIKE always wid me always wid u--satch ).........which is not vary fast............or ny solo........in dis position .........doing speed kill is easy.....(wid 3 fingers)

16. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey taxi ...
    it sounds real weird that u know "SPEED=STRENGTH" but "confused bout the fretting hand grip too" ...
    i mean mostof the ppl know about the classical style or the blues style (i gotta know about it thru one of my friend who plays guitar, loong time back, even before i picked up a guitar) ...
    ok no offence ...

17. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

hain???...i didnt get what do u wanna say........
    whats the connection....????/...
    i mean i usually play with the second grip....but still ...i have seen some players playing with the firs one........so i was just wondering which grip to use....cuz i dont wanna go on practising the 'wrong' thing.....<duh>

18. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

forget it ...
    anything which is not comfy is wrong ...

hey taxy ... what is that avatar ? ...

19. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

what avtar.....do u mean the signature thing kya???
    the lower part of my signature is kind of a joke....
    the first person tells the other ....that he is a NOBODY....and the second guy coolly replies....that NOBODY IS PERFECT....
    i hope that was what u were askin..

20. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

array nahin yaar ...
    the avatar ... picture ...
    looks like someone is holding a candle ...