How Fast CAn u Play The GuItAr

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by BIG_EVIL, Jan 8, 2005.

1. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

nothing wront with speed.. u should just sound good -so many of dream theaters songs are fast and sound good.. but then again - ywingie malmsteen - i cant say much aout him - i think he just does random shredding that most of the time sounds like crap....

speeds good to have ut udont have to use it all the time.. plus its nothing wrong to play slow - it just sounds different... its all good as long as it doesnt sound like malmsteen

2. deathdr_87

oh ya - i agree with nebu - crossroads was good - and blues jam!! god they sound so good!!

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hey deathdr ...
    malmsteen uses classical music runs in his licks and solos ... mebbe tahts y it sound s "crap" ;)

those runs u will find in Bach, Paganini etc ... (mebbe Mozart, Beethoven also) ...
    i dont think they are "crap" :)

4. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Exactly..why use speed all the time....I dont like listening to someone doing a blazing shred nonstop for 5 minutes without any feel...just doesnt appeal to me..sure it has the WOW! factor ..like, you feel..man this guy can play fast!...but music isnt all about speed..

What I feel is that once people start playing the instrument, some of them do tend to develop a bit of a condescending attitude towards simple stuff like 3-4 chord songs and simple leads..it has to be complicated to be appreciated:p:...ok digressing a bit here but aint it true...:)

5. fatjax

fatjax New Member

have any of you heard of Paul Gilbert?? hes fast too.. and it sounds good too unlike malmsteen.. anyway talkin bout Stairway to Heaven solo even though it isint the fastest still one of my favorite solos. the way jimmy page plays it just WOW. amazing video

anyway im pretty sure michael angelo batio is the fastest

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Check out Stargazer - Rainbow. Ritchie Blackmore starts with the slide and climbs up all the way up on his Strat Neck. My favourite all time solo.

7. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Dude!! See My Avatar How Fast I Play :p:
    Watch Satriani in "Surfing with the Alien or in Crytal Planet"....Get Live in San Francisco DVD or atleast any G3 Concert.

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nothing gr8

posted something that was meant for some other thread ... :eek::

9. ronnieanand

The runs are not like in Bach or Paganini. Well not always. He uses typical Minor Runs, Harmonic Minor Runs, Pedal tones which are commonly used by those great composers. The whole progression is what kind of derived from Beethoven, Paganini, etc.. Infact Ritchie Blackmore is the first one to do such minor runs but not at Malmsteen's speed. You can find Malmsteen a faster rip off of Blackmore if you closely observe without keeping your ego in between. Right from scale runs, song structure and chord progressions. One can clearly state that Ritchie Blackmore invented the whole Neo Classical Rock genre. Rest all are rip offs.

10. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

actually haven't heard much of Balckmore apart from Deep Purple ...

i had one album of Rainbow ... but lost it ... :(

11. ronnieanand

Blackmore had done far better work in Rainbow than in Deep Purple. I am a fan of Deep Purple too but his work with Dio was amazing and beats all the Rock albums for the next 30 years hands down.

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

did he work with Dio? ... i didn't know that ...

i just knew that the Deff Leppard fellow was there in the band ...

13. ronnieanand

SSlayer you were slightly confused. Or I confused you.

Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio were in Rainbow. Ronnie James Dio quit Rainbow, then joined Black Sabbath to release two of the greatest Metal albums ever and then formed his own solo project Dio where joined forces with Vivian Campbell (The Def Leppard fellow).

Actually I meant the Rainbow albums with Blackmore / Dio combinations. Check out the albums

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
    Rising
    On Stage - Live
    Live In Germany - Live Bootleg
    Long Live Rock n Roll

Check out Rising and Long Live Rock n Roll. Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is good but much softer and has the most boring song ever Temple Of The King. I used to like it. But listened to it so much that I got bored of it. Overdosage :think:

14. BIG_EVIL

BIG_EVIL Guitaring Machine

its gr8 to hear slipknot live

they can play gud aswell

15. deathdr_87

@fatjax - ya thats wat iwas talking about - tis good to paly fast as long as it sounds good...

@slayer - sorry u couldnt convince me - i just cant stand malmsteen... he has good technique though - ill admit that much - but id rather not listne to his songs - i wouldnt mind learning from his videos - coz as i said earlier - i dont think its wrong to have speed- but u jsut have to know where and how to use it... sometimes even simple solos like that of gnrs knocking on heavens door or unforgiven by metallcia and all sound so good even though theyre simple ... then even dream theater solos like pull me under sound really good even thoguh theyre fast...

talking about mi8chael angelo, he ahs speed- and aawesome control - i really respect him bcoz i think hes the most technically eprfect guitarist ever... but except for 1 or 2 songs most of his stuff is just crap...

16. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

hmmm....@dennis....you say quarter notes leagato at 208 bpm is good........is it what i think it is.??......i think what he meant was that he can play that legato lick with each notes assigned a quarter beat.......that means four notes per bar.........
    i got good alternate picking and legato.....dont like legato much.....my legatos kinda sound disjoint...i will work on that.......and bout my speed.....i can clock a minor scale at 210 bpm with eight notes( ..clean.)...i am sure i can even touch 300 (not that clean he he he).....but still need more control..more speed....
    and yeah...getting the feel is the most important thing......even the california song troubled me fer a long time...i could play it. since ages....but couldnt get the feel n stuff......( now i can although)....
    i worship malmsteen....but he does sound boring ....too much speed...and most importantly he just has huge n quick scaler runs in his songs....not much bends...no repeatitions....not even tapping.....

17. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

naah im sure he can do legato at 208..i heard him play some, btw where dio u put up??

18. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

i was not saying that he cant play legato at that speed...i was just asking if that is goood????..
    and what do u mean 'where do u put up??'

19. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

i play death metal guitar at 220 bmp 16th notes. only rhythm cant do solos

20. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

hey cool...ur almost double than me.......but wont be long....till i beat u man....haaaaa..cheers!!!!!!