How does the number of pickups matter??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by abhi_shake, Dec 28, 2006.

1. abhi_shake

abhi_shake New Member

In different electric guitars there are different number of pickups. How do their numbers matter?

For eg. a Les Paul has two pickups.
    [​IMG]

While Washburn X series has 4.
    [​IMG]

does it effect the sound quality and how?

2. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

Dood ,
    Actually pickup acts as a transducer that captures the strummings of the electric guitar and converts them to an electronic signal which can be amplified and recorded.The more the number of picups the more the resolution of sound and bigger the effct

3. thehundredthone

thehundredthone New Member

^^ what??? :shock:

The no. of pickups matters only because each position gives a different sound. Generally the bridge position (nearer the base) is used for soloing, the neck is used for rhythm, both together (if humbuckers) for clean patches, etc. This is because the bridge pickup gives more treble.

And that's 3 pickups on the Washburn - the bridge is a humbucker (2 pickups out of phase to cancel most of the inteference that the pickups may, well, pick up :p: )

EDIT: It's amazing what Google can do! You type in something you want to search for, and you get results!

I searched for pickup position sound. Simple, isn't it?

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/pick-pos.htm

4. born2tab

Agreed but highr the no. of pick up more is the resolution of sound..pick ups are actually electromagnetic transducers...so all they do is amplify along with giving each position a different sound

5. thehundredthone

That's only supposing you can switch on all the pickups and O/P them together, right? Because in general you can only switch one pickup on at a time.

6. born2tab

^^^No i have a tansen electric with 2 pic ups..and therez no concept of switching on one..both operate together in tandem

7. thehundredthone

Do you mean there is no selector switch at all? That's odd, so there's only one sound you can get out of it?

Most guitars have a selector switch so the number of pickups only provide different sounds either on their own or in combination. AFAIK you can't switch on all 3 pickups and get more resolution of sound on those ones.

8. abhi_shake

abhi_shake New Member

@born2tab... wat exactly do you mean by resolution of sound? the quality?

@hundredthone... thanks for the info, but wat exactly is a 'humbucker' and 'clean patch'?
    is clean patch that sound in Knockin on heaven's doors when the guitar plays the starting tune again in the middle of the song. cause it sounds .. well.. sorta clean!! :p

9. thehundredthone

Yep, when there is no distortion in the sound it's called clean.

Read up about pickups on wikipedia or somewhere else to get an idea as to what humbuckers and single coil pickups are and how they work.

10. abhi_shake

abhi_shake New Member

^^ ok man thanks!!

so is a elec. guitar with a 2 pickups better or a one with 3 pickups??

11. thehundredthone

It all depends on whether you want the sound of the middle pickup (either by itself or in combination with the bridge/neck pickup).

Go and try out a guitar with 2 and one with 3, see if the middle pickup has a sound you like. If it all sounds the same to you, just go for either one. There are more important factors than the number of pickups.

12. shak

shak Harrr!

the100th1 has got it nailed here .... :)

13. yazi

yazi Banned

Man, whatever these blokes tell you, don't listen. Go and buy a Stratocaster.

14. born2tab

:eek:: confused...:dies:

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

I have a guitar with a single Humbuker in the Bridge... I also have a strat with three pickups and Les Paul with two Humbukers..... Having two (like telecastewrs, Les Paul's, Flying V's ext) - Three pickups( like a strat or super Strat) is normal... It gives you a range of tones, to switch between. In short a guitar with two to three pickups is GENEREALLY more versatile then guitar with a single pickup.

16. abhi_shake

abhi_shake New Member

more important factors like??

17. yazi

yazi Banned

^^^ Like body wood, strings, electronics(active or passive), pickup position and also a bit on you playing it.

18. thehundredthone

^^ Exactly, not to mention the quality of the electronics.

Also [strike]neck[/strike] fretboard radius, which is overlooked, but I guess not that important for a newb because we can adjust to different radii comparatively easily ;)

19. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^^ dude i cant do that....is there something wrong with me...omg there is something wrong with me...i always new it....lol....seriously...it takes AGES for me to switch guitars

20. thehundredthone

Maybe you are suited to a particular fretboard radius, in which case find out what it is before you go in for your purchase. You've played the Ibanez which has a fretboard radius of close to infinity (12" actually, similar to an LP), and probably a Strat copy (9.5"). Now find something else to try if neither of the above suited you. Jacksons have 16" radii... flatter than Ibanez.