How does one play that Satriani harmonic?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by abhijitnath, Jan 24, 2006.

1. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

The one where his picking hand is on the whammy bar and the fretting hand is around where the 24th fret would be. What exactly is he doing?

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Huh!
    What?

3. abhijitnath

I don't know how to explain it better. He plays it live in Flying a Blue Dream and the crescendo endings of almost all songs.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Does it happen in teh Live in San Francisco?

5. abhijitnath

Haven't seen SF Live but it happens in every concert I've seen including G3, G3 w/Petrucci in Toronto and Live in Amsterdam, so I guess it would happen there too.

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Seems like he is playing harmonics + using the Whammy bar to give it a vibrato.

PS: Whats crescendo? (I guess I asked this earlier somewhere too :p )

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I dont know if you are talking about a technique which Dimebag also used to use. He keeps the whammy bar depressed, then plays a pinch harmonic and then releases the bar slowly. Pretty tough technique. Satriani uses that a lot. I have seen him do that but I am not sure about the Flying In A Blue Dream story. The only thing I know about that the song is those Dreamy Feedbacks in the intro.

8. abhijitnath

But why does he need to do it in that strange manner? He can play a standard 24th fret natural harmonic and use the whammy normally. Why the tamasha?
    Crescendo is when the volume of the band rises to a high point in the song. The opposite of it is a dimunuendo.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Tamasha is a hallmark of Showmanship.

Do you know Eric Clapton used to play certain phrases on acousitc with his back towards the public?
    That was apparently to hide his technique of strumming + muting and hitting the pickguard.
    :annoyed:
    WTF!?

10. abhijitnath

Also EVH.
    So noone would figure out his tapping licks (back in the days when it was still revolutionary. Nowadays of course every child of 10 can do it):)

11. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I think you're referring to the jet scream effect satch does with harmonics and whammy bar. It's pretty simple really all you do is hold the whammy bar with your left hand (if you're right handed) then pick artificial harmonics on 2 or 3 strings (like a squeal) and at the same time deppress the bar and slowly bring it back up again.

12. abhijitnath

Yeah I know the ones done at normal places on the fretboard and so on...lots of players do it. I specifically meant the one where his hand is off the fretboard over the neck pickup and then he plays a harmonic. Is that just an open string 24th natural harm or am I missing something?

13. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

It's exactly what i explained just that its open string harmonic screams. Meaning artificial harmonic using the right hand on open strings then usin the bar to make it scream.

14. abhijitnath

Aah..many thanks.