how does one build a mini radio station?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by kaiser, Oct 29, 2006.

1. kaiser

kaiser Bored

i read an article abt a guy in some unknown little village who made a mini radio station in under 100 rs. he broadcasts the daily happenings on his station, which has a range of about the size of an average tiny village...approx...2-3 km radius......

NOW AINT THAT ****ING COOL!

can anybody tell me what it takes to make a radio station like that...? please. seriously, and nevermind the legal aspect of it all.

how the hell did that guy do it in under 100rs?
    what parts do i need? how the hell does all this work?
    im a freeloader, im looking for some free info from engineer guys here.

dont post a wikipedia link that talks bt radio. go to hell before you do so.

aight...

2. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

I think that kind of radio station isnt legal.

3. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

U need to lisence a particular Bandwidth to be able to run a radio station.....If you don't...That's illegal lyk Neo said,....

4. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Why is it illegal? I mean I just want to broadcast music/gossip about the neighbours wife to my building/locality and mean no harm...

5. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^Coz of the bandwidth..U need to register the bandwidth u r gonna use, coz it can also be used by someone else and it can create problems..Also, Radio signals can be used in both ways as bad and good...so it needs to be monitored.....POlice also uses fixed bandwidth...Radio stations have to pay in per year basis for their bandwidth......

6. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Ahh..

Soo now all I gotta do is figure out how to steal the Government's bandwidth. Hmmm, Say sugata you're a computer expert.... :p:

7. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Also you need a liscense from the government to run a radio station small or big.

8. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Can't be discussed here but it's very easy :p:

9. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

You could start an Internet radio station.

10. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

How?

11. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

12. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Nice. One last question: is it free?

13. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

You will have to pay for the hosting fees for the radio station and royalties to the artist whose music you will play.

14. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

Royalties...? muahaha

15. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

@NEo
    Have u tried the Winamp radio stations??? Dunno, i haven't tried, but can be a good choice for Internet radio solutions..

16. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

No not really.

17. kaiser

kaiser Bored

you know...why did i say in my first post, dont talk bt the legal stuff? because i know that i need a license and all the bs.

how does the thing work? how did that guy make a station (even if its illegal, i know that, yes yes) for so cheap??

whats the scientific procedure of assembling a small unit that broadcasts radio frequencies to say, places in approx 1km radius??

cmon.... and thanks for replyin anyways!

18. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. You need to choose: AM vs FM transmission.
    THE AM (MW as well as SW) transmission allows you huge transmission distances, however, the quality is bad. And atmospheric static (like lightning) also affect the transmission.

FM, gives a real good tranmission quality. However, the signal can be transmitted over the "line-of-sight". So if you mount your transmission antenna on a high tower, your signal can reach ~100Km. However, on your house rooftop - few meters. :p.
    I guess power requirement for FM transmitter as well as bandidth requirement is more (infact Bandwidth is variable).

2. Excellent sites:
    https://www.electronic-circuits-diagrams.com/radio_circuits.shtml
    https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/fmtrans.htm
    https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentoring/project_ideas/Elec_p024.shtml
    https://www.zonalatina.com/Zldata126.htm

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

And a simple transmitter (capable of few hundred meter range) is really quite cheap.

Your cordless phone is a small FM transmitter. However, the freq used is something that a person with normal FM radio cannot catch.

Infact, police also uses FM band, however, at freq diff from commercial FM Radio stations. You can try snooping by building a wide range FM receiver ;)

20. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Pick up an Electronics and Communications 3rd year text book and you will find answers to your queries.