how do u use a pick properly

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Greeshma, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Greeshma

Greeshma Greeshma'z in da House

i've only started playing guitar 4 a couple of mounths now and my guitar teacher down here doesn't like me using a pick. he'z like "why do u need a pick when you hav 4 of them already, meaning ur fingers". But anywayz i got a couple of pick but i dnt understand all the numbers on them. the guy at the music shop(who looked kinda like a hippyLOL) said that beginers should start with a softer Pick. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. anshphenomenon

anshphenomenon Rape me :boff:

its good to use ur fingers for finger picking.
    but using a pick isnt too bad either.
    hold the pick firmly between ur index finger and ur thumb.
    do not press it too hard on to the guitar,just a gentle strum, not trying to hold the pick too firm.

3. Greeshma

hey thanx man but how do you understand the numbers on them, wel i'm guessing it's got something to do with it's thickness or how hard but does it really matter???????????????????????????

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

the gauge of the pick doesn't really matter, just pick one you are comfortable with...anything under 1 will do fine...

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Thin (or light) gauge plectrums are usually easier for beginners because in the begining you wont hold the plectrum with ideal pressure.

Usually beginners hold the plectrum very hard, and if the plectrum itself is hard, you wont be able to strum properly.

7. Greeshma

thanx, so when do poeple use picks over 1

8. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

well actually there is no hard and fast rule for that,
    when u pick up enough experience ,u will automatically feel that a certain song sounds well using one type of pick,or a certain type of pick allows u to have more control,

like i use hard picks for leads, and mostly soft ones for rythm

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Flexible plectrums are better suited for general strumming as I said earlier.

Harder ones give you more precise movement, which you absolutely require while shredding or tremolo picking. Since, you have started out, dont bother about this stuff right now.

Flexible plectrum for you.