How do u record your acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by slash, Aug 16, 2003.

1. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

DAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!! Thats pretty xpensive ofr an fx workstation. hey if its worth it get it!

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

No it isint.. Its one of the cheapest in the market.. It has a digital 24 track sound recorder. and effects chain which no one will ever get with Zoom and GNX and etc.. has every thing contralled by itself and if you wanna make it simpler use a computer and record on the Midas..

3. guns n roses

1800$ is cheap.ok....... . GNX is 400$ and that other one is 1800$

4. jayanth

For a machine that weighs about 52 kgs and dimensions of 0.8metres * 0.75 metres * 15 cms .. Thats cheap..

5. guns n roses

hmmmm. Ok. thx 4 the advice.

6. jayanth

Ha ha.. Bummed?? Actually a lot of us here in Bangalore are planning to open a Studio.. So i was going thru this.. And we decided to pool in and buy this..

7. guns n roses

woah thats cool. I want to be in a band. I can play, chords , solos, and a lot more but noone out here plays drums, gtar, or bass. 1 kid plays bass and hes a metallica maniac! if i said metallica in front of him hed call me "poser". I got in a fight with him, hes not even tough, took a swing and he shutup. Now i talk about Metallica and he shutsup. im glad. California's pretty cool though. My school sucks. :cool:

8. jayanth

No drummers in California?? My band has four drummers.. All of us play all instruments hehe..

9. guns n roses

na actually theres 1 drummer but hes a NOFX, Pennywise punk drummer. Me and The Metallica kid did a little gig at our school and i was on acoustic (piece of crap held 2getther with a tape under the stringd, untuned,) he had bass, and we kinda played Seven NAtion Army, he was kinda fast at that too. He plays for NOFX kinda music, the fast punk.

10. jayanth

Only one drummer in California?? Where did Lars go??

11. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

OK one more qn to add to this thread:

I attempted recording with audacity on my PC and the clarity was pretty good. However I find that the recorded voice kind of goes high and low and isnt very uniform .... (much like those ol' all india radio receptions).
    I keep the mic fixed but any tips on how to keep the recorded voice signal constant - will be helpful to me..

Right now I'm tired adjustin the volume of the speakers from one part of the song to another!!!!! :mad:

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

1. Are you sure it is not you? I mean it may so happen that your singing is actually going up and down (like the AM signals of AIR)

2. You can change the volume of the track at particular locations by using teh envelope volume feature. So u can increase/reduce the volume of the track.

3. Use a compressor on the track and make the compressor very tight. Compressor will try to level the volume differences that you are talking of.

13. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

thanxxx alph !!
    1. Ya .... sometimes its me -- mostly when I look down and read the lyrics from paper at places and then at other parts sing without looking -- so the input to microphone is varied. -- I discovered that and trying to overcome this! -- I use the computer microphone .. so any suggestions/ good practices to share about the placement of the microphone relative to the mouth and the guitar ( the input to audacity is from microphone)

2. Hmm envelope feature ... yet to try that.

3. What is a compressor -- a software tool -- can u plz xplain more on this??

14. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Compressor is an effect used to level out the input signal.
    Actual name is Compander (Compressor/Expander).

mebbe this will do the job:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compander

What it does effectively is to change gain of the "amplification" circuit (not exactly amplification - but that is the best word).

What an amplifier does is to increase the signal strength. The compander does this intelligently: it increases the weak signal more than the strong signal.
    Thus levelling out the output signal.

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I've moved it out of the Guitar tabs forum....thought it would be more useful here.

Thank you, wizard.

16. coolhemant

coolhemant New Member

hey everyone i'm gttng blues over hoe to record i'm allthe way confused
    i've gt a jumbo givson with apickup now temme is this stuff computer's mic jack already being installed in the computer or i've to install it n wht is this audicity software how can i install it
    plz........ tell me

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

If you have pickup you have two options:
    1. plug it into Line-in port
    2. plug it into mic port

both of those ports are on your soundcard (either inbuilt on the motherboard or on external soundcard).
    THe ports on soundcard are 1/8" and the plug from your guitar will be 1/4" - so u need a converter.

Or you may directly use the microphone plugged into the computer. And use the mic to capture the sound fomr your acoustic.

18. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Don't keep the mic fixed. Record your guitar and then record ur voice on a separate track using a microphone, not the headset kinds. Move it away from ur mouth for high volume (watch a Sonu Nigam concert for the best example). Mix the tracks later.

sixstringsin likes this.
  19. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

^^ thanx saptashaw - i'll attempt more on mixing.. -- but cud u plz elaborate on:

1. what u mean to say by not keeping the mic fixed?
    2. Do u think recording the guitar with the pickup's line-in as input is better option or with the microphone?? I kind of found the mic to be better in capturing the sound but still found the recorded voice signals to vary :(