How do u record your acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by slash, Aug 16, 2003.

1. slash

slash New Member

By mic? If so what kind of mic do you use?Straight in by Acoustic Electric?Any other ways?Which ways sound best to you?

2. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

yes by mic, you can remoive the hiss cound in the recorded material though various softwares.

3. slash

slash New Member

How do u attach the guitar directly to the pc?:confused:

4. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Are we talking about electric guitar or acoustic?:think:

5. Redalert

Redalert New Member

You get a lil mic kinda thingie that you attach to your guitar and then you can have the same effect as the electric...its pretty kool...:rule:

6. great_guns

great_guns "The Great One"

I'd like to know too

Hey Budds !!

I'd like to know how to do this too.
    I got an accoustic guitar thats got a pickup and a output jack. But I am a lil scared to directly connect it to my sound card, coz I fear I might blow it up. I dunno the output of the pickup.

What I did once was I put my multimedia mic INSIDE(!!) my guitar and then recorded a lil stuff. I had tried to put up the file out here as an attachment but there was some prob. If any one of you wants to hear it, tell me !!

BTW, The recording was pretty decent but still there was the HISS which I hate so much !!! It does sound much better with a little tweaking on my winamp (with some third-party plugins !!).

Anyone who can help me on this one ???

Peaec
    ---Guns

P.S. : I am a computer science post grad student:) , so I can understand technical computer jargon !!! SO you can let loose !!:beer:

7. alli

alli The Best Ever

if u'll seriously get down to discussing this.... puh-leez ... write it down in english too... hehe. . .

coz i got no clue bout "technical " stuff... im an artist .... requested to explain all this in any human lang. actually will be good enuff for me .. :eek:

8. great_guns

great_guns "The Great One"

Hmm....Restart this thread PEOPLE

Hey guys...
    Whats the matter out here, this thrad seems to have gone bust. C'mmon please someone do rply out here. W ALL wanna get ourselves on record, don't we ??

MEanwhiloe....i tried recording "every Breath You Take" but putting my multimedia(a.k.a. CHEAP) mic INSIDE my guitar. Yup...INSIDE. It sound pretty clear. Just theres the annoying hiss. I tried attachin gthe file here, but wouldn't work. Ask me, and I'll mail you that. Then u can gimme a suggestion !!

PEACE:beer:
    ---Guns:rule:

9. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

No idea... sorry... I haven't started recording stuff yet

10. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

hey there,

even i have an acoustic with a soundhole pickup (givson jumbo) and luckily i was brave enough to plug it into my computer's mic jack, else i wouldn't have known how fine it works! plugging it into the line-in jack is preferable cuz it's got a higher S/N ratio (this is for the computer whiz!)

you need to turn the guitar's as well as your soundcard's volumes full high to be able to make some sounds at all - this is cuz the pickup has a very high input impedance and you'll hardly hear anything at low volumes... having powerful speakers is ever an asset.

then you can even use a simulation fx processor like guitarfx or guitarfx box to get distorted sounds out of your plain electro-acoustic. it sounds awesome! guitarfx box even comes with an excellent tuner that will help you tune your guitar to the absolute textbook frequency!

as for the other question regarding the internal mics... i've heard of them too but never seen one actually though one can see artists using them. these mics are called condenser mics and have unidirectional sensitivity...

for those who want to upgrade their acoustic to an electro-acoustic or know more about connection issues, read here:
    https://www.zatang.com/categories/music/guitar/deepak/acoustic2electric.htm

for advanced info on all of this and comparisons between various amplification techniques check out this excellent page:
    https://www.museweb.com/ag/amp/ag_amp.html

11. Redalert

Redalert New Member

Kool..what sound card do you have? Yes guitar fz is kool...for distoration but nothing beats the real thing. :)

12. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

oh the soundcard? that's where i get beaten... mine is by crystal semiconductors - ok for ordinary purposes but really bad for distortion etc effects - this has to do probably with its poor directsound implementation cuz that's what these distortion software use...

so i agree that for me nothing beats the real thing... but if the words of the software programmers are to be taken, they claim with the help of audio samples how good the fx prog can be if u have a really good soundcard like blaster... i've heard these samples and was left wondering if this indeed is possible - there the effect looked like coming straight from 'the real thing!'

13. NuageOutlaw

NuageOutlaw New Member

I got creative live sound card.....damn i gotta try this!!:)

14. shyam

shyam New Member

Umm..u don't connect it into the mic input of your sound card. The line our from your guitar goes into the LINE IN input of your sound card! :cool:

15. divasaj

divasaj New Member

Hey People.... Its true that you can try all these for recording, but still you are left with that damn hiss and low frequency boom. These sounds arent much of a bother when you playback your recorded bit at a low volume, but you see the disaster when you turn the sound knob and raise the decibels.

I have tried practically everything....for those of you who has an Amp, I have tried connecting my electric guitar to my amplifier and the line out of the Amp to the PC....it just doesnt get recorded without that hiss, and no software equaliser ( I've tried everything from Cubase to Goldwave) can cancel out that hiss completely without affecting the tone.

GOOD NEWS: I've just been told the solution theoretically. They say that the noise is due to the DC bias in the various parts of the AMP. Their suggestion is to place a mic in front of the amp and feed the mic signal into my PC. Will try this out and let you guys know.

Regs,
    Diva fm Chennai

16. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

WHY DO U GUYS BOTHER USING A PC. There is a easier A lot of pros reccomend getting the GNX4 WORKSTAION PROCESSOR a guitarists dream. Heres the deal. Plug in the mike To the back of this badass guitarmaster and set it up to your acoustic without having to plug in anything to ur acoustic. The same GNX4 has a recording system inside. Then Hit record. And play ur acoustic away. No PC. No hassle. It does require a CompactFlash. It usually comes with it though. Its great! check out www.digitech.com for more info! Have fun! :cool:

Oh yaa this kind of recording is very sensitive. one move of the mike changes a lot in the sound while ur recording. go to www.artistpro.com for professional mike techniques. It shows the places where you can get the best sound of ur acoustic. !

17. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Yhea thats good.. For electics yhea.. But GNX 4 is cheap.. Go for Midas which is available after 10% discount at 2.46 Lakhs only.. Will beat the shit out of GNX4

18. jayanth

But look at the question, Buying a GNX4 for an Acoustic would be rather Lame.. Better go for Midas..

19. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

yea now that i think of it it is for more of the electric gtar style. hmmm. Midas is probably the better solution but i dont know how much 2.65 lahks is cuz in US i use dollars. GNX4 is about 400-500dollars in u s.

20. jayanth

Midas is 1800$$$ + Taxes