how do u play f#m ??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by mamatt, Sep 17, 2005.

1. mamatt

mamatt New Member

how can i play f#m ???
    i dont want to play it as barre ...any other way to play it ??

2. shak

shak Harrr!

wrong forum .. i am not sure but i think barre is the only way of playing this

3. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Thizz shud be moved...Wrong area of post..!!

Anyway, I think u can transpose the Dm chord in the nut position and hold F#m..:)

4. shak

shak Harrr!

thats cheating^^^ :p

5. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Another way..

x01222- But that'll be called F#m6.

Credits to HOTOBHAGA

6. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

hold it is barre........one day or another........u gotta play barre chords....

7. Addy Pant

Addy Pant Highway Star

I don't why everybody wants to skip barre chords. Like Lefty said, you gotta learn it. There's no escaping it.

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Okay. Forget Barre Chords some simple methods for you

E 9
    B 10
    G 11
    D x
    A x
    E x

or try this

E 2
    B 2
    G 2
    D 4
    A x
    E x

The notes in F#m are F# -> Root, A -> Minor 3, C# -> Perfect 5th

Refer to my article at
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=9031&highlight=Form+Major+Minor+Chords

You can play F#m at several more ways too which are much easier than Barre Chords.

Excuse this time. But Learn Barre Chords. You cannot play good Rock Rhythms otherwise.

9. shak

shak Harrr!

these are diff voicings ronnie ... you cant use this 9,10,11 chord to play a mellow song! .. yes you can use this to play the outro to hotel california .. but not ..ummm ... november rain ! .. LOL .. so think .. barre is the way to go

10. ronnieanand

The ones I gave are not any different voicings of the chord. They are still Root Inversion of the F#m chord, so you can play them. I didn't say that one chord serves all purposes. Stairway to heaven has such chords. If you listen to Hendrix, Clapton, Jimmy Page, you will find that these chords are not something uncommon. In the days of only Barre Chords and Power Chords, some nice subtle sounding chords have become kinda unknown. So Barre need be a way to go. And by the way with Barre you can play Noverember Rain but not the outro to Hotel California LOL.

Shahrukh but this is totally funny that you are advocating that one chord form is better than the other just because you dont play it. In guitar there is nothing like one chord fits all. So think

11. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

im all for barre too.

12. shak

shak Harrr!

lol yeah .... i thought the guy wanted the chord to strumm .. thats why said barre is the way to go .. other wise there several diff voicings i agree ,, anyway .rubbish argument dun want any of that ... i bow to you ronnie ..after dharmatma i accept you as my guru..

13. jekyll

jekyll Banned

Thanks all you guys,
    I had doubts about this for so long, but this site has cleared it.
    I have one more question: how should I hold the chords, i mean, should the thumb be behind the neck, or on the neck - fretting the thicker strings?

I have seen many players using that style for barre chords.
    Thanks in advance

14. shak

shak Harrr!

if u keep the thumb behind the neck it will benefit you in many ways ...
    first it gives your index finger an anchor and more support to hold the bar ...
    second it helps you reach the higher strings more easily .. thus making it easy to "shred" .. ;)
    if u keep you thumb over the fretboard touching the top strings .. whole of your hand is int contat woth the neck .that means more friction and more difficult it is to slide up and down the neck ..
    where as if you keep your thumb behind the neck ..it will give you less friction and easier slides ...

15. ronnieanand

Thumb behind the neck is called classical position. It gives you great flexibility, stretch and lesser strain for your fingers. If you are shredder, then better use this position if you want to avoid injuries to your fingers.

Thumb over the neck is the Blues position, can give great control over individual notes for bends, vibratos and then things like that. Play too fast with this position is harmful for your fingers.

Thumb over the neck to fret the bass strings can give you a great variety of playing several chord inversions. Hendrix and many other use this kind of style. If you are heavy distortion use, then there's no requirement for this as you chord will anyway get lost in that heavy distortion. If you are playing Blues, then this can do a lot of wonders.

Observe Ritchie Blackmore plays. He uses a lot of Classical position, when he plays fast, uses the Blues position when he plays his Bluesy licks and also uses THumb fretting notes when plays the riff of Strange Kind of Woman or Burn and things like that.

So there is no fixed rule of thumb positioning. It all depends on your convenience.

16. ronnieanand

Why me as a Guru. I cannot even hold the plectrum properly. They are tons of nice guitarists out here.