How do i fix the crack in my guitar ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by DrSaurabh, Sep 4, 2005.

1. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

I just saw a crack in ma guitar, the crack is between the body and the back of the guitar.... what do i do, is it fixable.....???
    more than a crack its a joint becoming loose.......
    not a crack per se
    HELLLPPPP!!!!!!

2. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

:eek::..My friend 7miles..has the same model..HOBNER...And i always doubted his guitar..:annoyed:
    I knew something like this wud happen to those having the guitar..;)
    Anyway, everything is fixable..But you may have to paay huge bucks..for the repair..!

Pe@Ce 0uT!!:boxed:

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i guess this could happen to any guitar .......................................after u drop it:eek::
    yea i forgot to mention that
    the belt jst snapped and it hit the floor square on that spot

4. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

acoustic or electric?

5. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

accoustic....

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ok .. then if u are concerned about the sound of the guitar u need to replace the section which got cracked ... usually the wood in acoustic once it crack can only expand ... and the crack widens .. bad nooze but even if u use fevi quick + m seal + fevicol + vamicol it will stay cracked ... coupled with the fact bombay is quite humid ...

but if there is no change in audio quality then n need to be much concerned ... onli that the crack should not aggravate ... anyway the standard template advice will be ...
    go to the professional guitar store "mechanic" ... he will know the best ...

7. shak

shak Harrr!

many factors!
    1 is the crack along the grain or across the grain.
    2) the actual postition of the crack (i still dunno where the crack is)
    3) is it possible to fix it from inside the guitar body
    4) is it possible to fix the crack by gluing a piece of wood beneath it.
    the position of the crack is critical .. if its somewhere near the bridge or right near the end pin .. then it really needs to be taken care of or otherwise it will grow ... if its on the bouts or the soundboars/back ..then you can relax for sometime ..
    in the emanwhile losen your strings and take it to a local luthier.

8. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

take it to a luthier - best possible advice

9. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

second that^^^

10. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

Ok Srk heres the pics....took em with my webcam so they wil have to do
    i will post more if u want

Attached Files:

11. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Ooh that's nasty. I say tape it and later take it to a guy who knows how to fix guitars or in other words take it to a luthier.

12. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

well the bad news is that since it is on the seam ... such kinda crack only know how to propagate ... (but they might be very slow - so u can stay cool - i played with this kinda guitar for nearly one year before it said: "leave me i cannot take it anymore" ;))

u might fix it with adhesives ... but then when wheather changes it can again crack ...

13. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

u guys makin me cry..:cry2:
    isnt there a way to fix this for good?

14. shak

shak Harrr!

losen the strings and take it to the luthier ... he will know what to do .. but if he doesnt tell him to brace it from inside with l-supports or put a new purfling ..
    if he still doesnt understand .. tell him to put some hot silicon inside and some hide glue on the crack and seal it tight ....

15. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

luthier is the best possible option.

16. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

This is nothing. If you have patience and a steady hand. You can do it yourself. Either you will have to wait for the crack to get a little more or open it and glue it using quick fix. Keep a small weight over it for a day and you will be done.
    If you are not sure, then take it to a Lutheir. My old Hobner had this problem and I fixed it myself and it was all fine. I sold it eventually because the frets had worn out like crazy.