how can i improve my timing or u can say speed of picking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by manish, Feb 18, 2005.

1. manish

manish New Member

i m a beginner. i want to know that how can i improve my timing or u can say speed of picking. i m very poor in that. though i m trying hard still i feel some problem. sometime i get right and sometime fail. is there any exercise to improve this.

thanx in advance.

2. shak

shak Harrr!

yes there is a very simple method...get a metronome!!...
    metronome is a device that gives out click/beep after exact intervals (these can be adjusted) ..... you can practice your timing by using one..
    some of those electric guitar tuners have them .. and there are standalone metronomes available in the market as well... get one of those or simple enuf... search download.com for the metronome software... there are many free ones out there..and if i remember correctly.. someone posted a link for the online metronome website on IGT .. do a search.

3. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

sure , sharukh has a point there ,....

4. aleric

aleric New Member

Yes, a metronome will be really useful.

While picking make sure you are holding the pick properly. I guess Bobby had posted a thread on holding a pick. Pick should be hold between your thumb and index finger. ( Thats the traditional way )

Also the angle at which you strike the string with the pick is very important when it comes to fast picking. The motion of the hand with pick should be just enough to pick the string.

And last but not the least........Practice......Practice.......Practice.

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yp..alerics said it. Practise practise practise. Take any exercise eg. 1234 chromatic exercises and sit with ur metronome and keep on trying to improve ur speed. Personally I find it very mechanical and boring. Another thing u can do is to learn a fast song(at a speed ur comfortable with) and try to pull it off.
    That is more fun but it wudnt improve ur speed as fast as the 1st method wud.
    What I suggest is mix the 2 techniques...15 mins of exercise and then play a favourite tune(which is of the speed u want to achieve) for 15 mins and so on... oh yeah, dont forget to take breaks in between. You dont wanna injure urself.

6. shak

shak Harrr!

^ good one dennis..i actually did this when i was learning to play master of puppets for the first time... and yeah as you said...breaks are very important...

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

u can play MOP??..u must be damn good

8. shak

shak Harrr!

i learned that AGES!! ago mate ... thats nothin ..... pheeesh

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

ohhk...hmmm...good for u!

10. shak

shak Harrr!

oops was i boasting? .... sorry dennis!...i cant play the solo good enuff tho :)

11. Subhro

Subhro Argentina lost :"(

nah.. u were not boastin :p: