How can i figure out song chords?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by s'p'lash, Dec 27, 2004.

1. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

i basically try to play few basic chords...and see if it is getting along well wid the song. if you are very experienced player....u'll come to know wat chords produce wat kinda sound and you'll automatically figure out..which chords justifies the song very well. try to play basic chords.

as bob said....strumming is also important. its important which strumming pattern u use...infact before figuring out chords ...try figuring out the strumming pattern and in dat process....change chords to see if its getting along wid the song.

2. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

de couple the learning and understanding of the song from a particular instrument.. and that would make life easier..
    for understanding songs, yoru ears are your main weapon. at least for me, before i hit the keys, or the guitar i know 80-90 % of what i am gonna play (and 50% of those timee i cant play what i want :p: ).. rest of 10% is trial and error. the aim is to reach 100%. then even if cant play u can instruct someone else to play.
    so before u hit the guitar if u r cluess on what the song is, and 100% is trial and error.. then u r at ground zero and have to start training your ears.. other wise its like shooting in the dark and hoping to kill the villain and not the heroine. should try to be at least 50%.
    my level these days is fully able to recognizing at least m7 m9 level chords.. upon hearing them.. others like my friend kishmu are much ahad of me.. and i think they even get the voicing rt.. i have to do trial and error for that.. so focus on training the ears.. then u wont have questions like whats the striuumming pattern.. your ears would be able to identify the strummign.. and then it would just eb a mattering pf practicing the strumming. how to train the ears? just listen and listen and focus on the right things.. screw the lyrics... u dont care about it anymore.. stop going to the poetry forum for a while... focus on the melody harmony.. listen ot the song again and again.. and focus on a particular track each time...
    next time u play mere sapanon ki rani on the car stereo.. if rajesh khanna pops up in front of your eyes riding a car and chasing sharmila tagore ina train.. then u r still at ground zero.. if u see kishore kumar in a recording booth with devlish grin on his face while singing.... pancham da playing harmonica etc etc.. then u are making some progress...

my point it u need to be at least able to filter out various tracks.. and associate the sounds with the various instruments that are playing them.

3. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

^^^wow. dat was really kewl....especially rajesh khanna part. :p:....

4. sunnynnus

sunnynnus New Member

perhaps the best response so far ! I for sure do not see Rajesh Khanna ;) but "screw the lyrics" part , i think i see what you are trying to say.... thanks...

sunny