How can i figure out song chords?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by s'p'lash, Dec 27, 2004.

1. s'p'lash

s'p'lash New Member

How can i figure out song chords?

2. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

by a mixture of practise.. experience and many more things.. this is all i know.. but wait a few hours.. u gonna get a lot of replies...

seems u are new here... welcome aboard... enjoy ur stay

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

know all ur chords, and develop that musical ear. listen to anything and everything. thats the key
    if u are really stuck, play a song at half or one-fourth speed and try chords along with it.

4. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

hey splash welcome dude ...

well it is quite simple to get very nearning chords for a song , you just need to know the basic chords and you can try out some combinations of chords with the flow of the song !!

and remember strumming also plays a very important role , so you should also try and get your strummings correct ,..

with this , if not 100% you can get 80% to the song chords...

check out the tutorials forum for chords and strumming notes ...

5. s'p'lash

s'p'lash New Member

thnx for that guys.i'l go and try that

6. sunnynnus

sunnynnus New Member

Notes from chords

Suppose you know the chords for a particular song. Is there a way that the notes can be figured out from it. (To play the lead using just the notes instead of the chords)

sunny

7. bob-bobby

bob-bobby Extinct or Banned!

sunny , well it all depends upon you ,... if you know the song very well , it should be more easier for you to tab it , i dont think so by knowing the chords you can get the notes out of it !!

well you can surely tab the song if you know the rythm and music very well ..

8. sunnynnus

sunnynnus New Member

Oh, I guess I will have to learn it the hard way then :) . so far I found learning guitar very scientific though. Most of the chords can be derived from other and from the notes that are played for a chord. So I thought there has to be a way to "reverse-engineer" chords to get notes too !! Thanks anyway

9. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Sunny, a li'l word of caution. don't learn the guitar in a purely theoretical manner. try to develop a ear for music. Otherwise, your playing will sound mechanical and lack aesthetics.

10. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

No U cant

for eg.. say chord progression is

I IV V :p: ......

then within those 3 chords u have like every damn blues song every composed :p

examples of
    I VI IV V
    papa kehten hai
    last kiss
    every breathe u take
    dyer maker
    when love and hate collide
    etc etc

man u will start with a lata mageshkar song.. and then get notes for a madonna song :p:

11. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

but i guess opposite is true .... meaning if you know tabs for lead or vocal melody ... you can manage to figure out chords with some practice/ good ear/ or sense of changing patterns in notes...

12. sunnynnus

sunnynnus New Member

and is there a way to figure out tabs? I mean the notes of the song. I would confess that i do not have a good ear as yet. what can i do to develop more understading of a song.

13. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

u cant "figure" out chords from vocal melody. U cann compose and arrange your own chord progression for a vocal melody line.. but the melody line by itself doesnt have enough information .

14. Dhoon Master

Dhoon Master New Member

mavrick , also i suggest to try R-P-G pattern with chord rather going for firect strummimg
    @Jayswami ur expert opinion plz

15. maverick8218

maverick8218 New Member

Dhoon, cud ya pls be more clear? I didn't get ya...

16. jayswami

jayswami Blue J

i have no clue what rpg means.. rocket propelled grenade?

17. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

neither do i . .. whats RPG ? . .. but the best way to figure out the chords of a song is to listen to the song. .. there's no other way. . . as jay said. . you cannot figure out the chords from the melody cuz we can always fit in other chords.
    best is to listen to the song very carefuly and on good quality speakers . listen to the bass part very carefully as that is the easiest to catch and try to find the chord . thats the only way i think .. .

18. Dhoon Master

Dhoon Master New Member

Rpg

RPG means one side we press the chord & while srummimg , string by string fingering is done

19. madhura

madhura pani poori yum yum ....

... but how does that ( string by string fingering) help in figuring out the chords ??
    :think:

20. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I think he means arpeggio (RPG? aiyyo!!) ;)

chords and vocal melody restrict each other, so that if you know one, you know the other must be either like this or like that and so on. But knowing one cannot immedietely give u the other i.e. there is no one to one correspondence