Hotel California - Anti Christ???

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by vidhansinghai, Jun 22, 2004.

1. vidhansinghai

vidhansinghai New Member

Hi guys,

Any idea why Hotel California is called anti-christ? (I don't mean any offense to Christ or Satan, am just curious).

I've heard that if you play it reversed, then it talks something about raising Satan or something.

I tried a net search but couldn't get much. But could get the following info:
    The song "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zepplin has a whole stanza which talks about raising Satan or something like that.
    The band called Abba worshipped the devil.

Anyway as for Hotel California, this link might help. This page has a lot of interpretations of the lyrics. But only one seem to be close to "anti-christ". I mean just talking about hell or what happens after death cannot really be anti-christ or can it! [Ref.: "by TaddyTeddy on 09-11-2002 @ 07:34:13 PM" on the below link]
    https://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=4793

Just looking for inputs from you guys.

Vidhan

2. vidhansinghai

vidhansinghai New Member

There's this site Snopes.com. It explains the Urban Legends of similar kinds. I tried that one and found this:
    https://www.snopes.com/music/songs/hotel.htm

So basically, there's nothing "anti-christ" about this song. Hail Eagles!!!

But did anyone try reverse playing the song???

Vidhan

3. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Yo vidhan ur right "stairway to heaven backwards talks about marijuana and the song "another one bites the dust" also talks like that back wards. Its crazy

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Wow.. Never knew such things..

5. Natasia

Natasia ...

hey vidhan... i cheked out the links u gave....very interesting....got me thinking abt the meaning of other songs i've heard......

6. prash_rocks

prash_rocks Over the Hills & Far Away

have been hearing this crap since eternity...

its not these songs that are anti-christ or pro-satan... these theories come from people mostly in the clergy and some such positions who are anti-rock and anti-good music... the lifestyles of rockstars of course goes a long way into these puritans' disgust and what better could they come up with than such shit cuz their sole mission is to 'help prevent the moral corruption of the youth' in following their idols... personally, i'm far better off listening to some great music than worshipping their fake gods.

well, so it's like someone was laying down that jimmy page had sold off his soul to the devil in exchange for success in his musical career... will someone tell me how to do that?

or that a particular line in stairway when rolled backwards reads 'here's to my sweet satan'.. i've heard that line and am convinced of the pettiness and the stupidities of these idiots who've nothing else in the world to do.

7. prash_rocks

btw the song hotel california, heard forward or backwards, IS BY NO MEANS a song abt the devil or satan.

it talks of the social decadence that had set in the US abt the mid-70s: lots of booze, drugs and adultery... and that once someone gets addicted to these, they become 'prisoners of their own device... can check out any time they like, but can never leave'.

8. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

iv always thot da song waz abt da life n culture of da US of A in mid 60s n 70s... n i think im rite..

oh, wat da hell.. who cares, man? its an AMAZIN song.. period. :cool:

9. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

Let me enlighten some of you on some interesting facts

Why is rock and heavy metal the music of the devil???

did u know satan was in the church choir??
    did u know he sang 5ths??
    did u know he was thrown out of the church choirs?
    did u know heavy metal and rock uses mainly power chords??
    did u know a powerchord is the root note and the 5th?
    5th is then harmony he sang tahts why rock and metal is satanic

had a good read??

10. vidhansinghai

vidhansinghai New Member

Great one Demon. That chord 5 stuff is creepy.

And prash, dil par mat le yaar, it's just about opinions. Rock RULES!!!

BTW, if you visit the links above, Hotel California is about the life style of stars, particularly rock n roll artists. Not about drugs and all.

But there's one thing that I really liked on one of the links. It said that the poems/songs involve so many metaphors only to let such "opinions" stirred up. I mean, it's open to interpretation. So you can call Hotel California as Satan's church or drug addict's heaven or just bhootia mansion. But it sounds all the more great.

And that reminds me, does anyone have the tabs for the electric piece in Hotel California (the original studio version, not the LIVE one)? Please pass them on.

Never opened myself this way
    Life is ours and we live it our way
    all these words I don't just say
    and nothing else matters...

Vidhan

11. jayanth

Nice on Demon..

12. Demonstealer

Demonstealer New Member

spanke you :)

13. prash_rocks

just to tell u that 'colitas' in the opening lines is close to the spanish roots of what marijuana is called in that language. and i don't gather anything in the lyrics that suggest me anything specific to rockstars.

to each his own interpretation... :beer:

14. tejas

tejas ..........

When Stairway to heaven is played in reverse, you can here the following lyrics..

So heres to my sweet satan
    Whos little path would make me sad, whos power is satan.
    He will give you, give you 666
    There was a tool shed where he made us suffer
    Sad satan.

The actual lyrics are..

If theres a bustle in your hedgrow, don't be alarmed now
    Its just a spring clean for the may queen.
    Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the longrun
    Theres still time to change the road youre on.

Its very freaky, but it is still cool. I have the clip so if anyone wants it i'll send it to you.

15. jayanth

Wow .. Freaky.. PLease send more..

16. tejas

tejas ..........

^How do i post a mp3 format file?

17. jayanth

Every post comes with an option of an Attachment. So zip the file and upload the Mp3.. ;)

MODERATOR.

18. tejas

tejas ..........

It says the file size is too large. The clip is 337 Kb and the alloted space is 197 kb. What should i do?

19. jayanth

You can email it to me. I will upload it to my site and give you the link with the credit to you..

20. tejas

tejas ..........

Ha..ha. Alright i'll email it to you. Give me your ID.