Homemade Overdrive

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Double Click, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Here are some clips of my 1st prototype Overdrive.

The clips were recorded by one of my friends using a Slammer --> OD --> MG30CD --> cheap local mic--> pc.

The recording quality is pretty bad thanks to a combination of bad playing, lousy mic etc. If someone in B'lore can help me out with that, I can post some better clips. Unfortunately I cannot play guitar for a while, so I need someone to record the clips for me.

It is a very veratile OD... Rock and blues are its fort, but it can be pushed to some metallish tones too. It is VERY sensitive to picking, and in the hands of a good guitarist, it sounds AWESOME.

This is the link to the sound clips

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fzgy2v

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fzgy2v

jocelyn likes this.
  2. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Pics please? :)

3. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ LOL!! Coming soon ;)

4. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

You want me to help you with clips? I'll play it if you like :p:

5. Double Click

Double Click New Member

^^ If u have an amp and a mic, then come over when ur free..

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

ya, pics please

7. Double Click

Double Click New Member

The pics willl come as soon as I get my camera back.

Now listen to the soundclips dammit!!

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why aint these on soundclick?
    :protest:

9. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Cuz they are soundclips! (ok, bad joke)

10. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Cause sounclick hates me... and I hate soundclick. Besides its a small file.

Has anyone listened to the clips?

11. thehundredthone

Yes I have.
    Sounds pretty decent through your "shitty setup".
    I imagine it'll sound much better to our ears straight through the amp.

Really nice and sensitive. Although you say it can be pushed to metally gain, I'd say it only just about touches it. Unless it can be driven further than your high gain clip. Although I'm not sure I'd want that tone for metal anyway :p:

Can't say much else, maybe after a few more listens.

Oh and I have no amp or mic :banana:

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

This sounds pretty good.

BUT You know, the voicing is very heavy.
    The gain is low. I mean gain wise its an overdrive tone, but the voicing wise it sounds like a heavy hi-gain.

Dude, if possible, can you tweak it to make it higher gained?
    I have a feeling this will sound killer at high drive/gain.

13. thehundredthone

^ Where did you learn all this jargon? I didn't know how to put it, but that's what I wanted to say by saying that I wouldn't want that tone for metal.

So the gain is low -> it sounds just broken up but
    Voicing is heavy -> it sounds pretty heavy

I'm going to have to read up about voicing.

EDIT: WTF, I can't find anything about voicing other than chord voicing. alpha1 you'll need to explain it to me. :)

14. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Its kickass. But the thing is, its very transparent, and a lot depends on the guitarist's picking and technique.

It can be driven much further, right now its wired with a very low quality low value pot cause the main pot got damaged... However, metal is not what it is meant for.. Its more of that sweet overdriven tone u hear in most of the old rock/blues songs.

15. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Ur right, its low gain with high drive. I love those deep heavy bassy/middy tones which preserve the clarity, and dont become muddy :)

It can be modified to have a hell of a lot more gain, but I need to find some good pots.. Banglore sucks when it comes to finding good audio grade components.

The thing that hits u most about this overdrive is how quite it is. There is absolutely NO noise. We checked the waveforms through a CRO in college, and the waveforms were perfect! I'll try and post some pics of the waveforms later.

16. Double Click

Double Click New Member

LOL!! Think of voicing as the preset eq. Its hardwired, and u cannot modify it. Its pretty much what an amp/stompbox sounds like with all the knobs on minimum.
    Gain is the amount of amplification. More gain can result in more distortion due to the clipping stages, or can just give u a boosted tone with more punch.

17. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

2 mb and u say its a small file ??

18. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Yup. With todays intenet connections, 2mb is a joke. If u r on an especially slow connection and really want to hear the clips, shoot me a pm with ur email id and I'll send em to u in smaller bits.

19. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

bleh...no soundclick for u eh?

20. thehundredthone

@Double Click: So what schematic did you follow to get a box with such voicing?
    I know about gain, I didn't know the term voicing though, thanks :)