Home studio 101. startup!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Quadrophenia, May 29, 2006.

1. Quadrophenia

Quadrophenia Member

OKay guys.. this has been on my mind for quite some time. and now that the summers are starting soon i want to start a home studio to take my recordings to another level. last night i did my own little research on the web and found https://www.tweakheadz.com this site which has basically everything..
    however, before i plunge into this and start buying ''stuff'' i need to ask some questions..
    From what i've gathered is that i need (according to the website) i need to have
    1. A soundcard with RCA inputs?
    2.A mixer (with x number of channels!)
    3. A good multitracking software (sonar)
    4. no life!
    and obviously other peripherals like microphones,and stuff..

What about the midi interface?
    Do i need a midi interface?or will the special sound card that i'm talkign about suffice? ( its the one with joystick inputs!)
    On the website..he keeps mentioning a piano!!and keeps using the piano example all the way through! - which i dont have and dont need!

please do help as i am quite interested in it. thanx;)

2. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Hi,

I don't know about the midi interface, also cos i don't know how special your special soundcard is.

As far as I know, the Piano that is being reffered to is an elctronic keyboard, casio, yamaha, korg whatever you want.

3. Guitar boy

Guitar boy New Member

Do you have any MIDI devices?
    If you use keyboard and soft synths then MIDI is must(however, you can use MIDI editing software, entering notes using your mouse.. that's hectic).

If you are recording only AUDIO then u neet not bother about MIDI port.

And again, no problem if you get a sound card without MIDI. Later if you need to have a MIDI port, there are USB/MIDI converters which you can make use of. (your software will recognize the USB connectivity as a MIDI port).