Home Scalloping an Acoustic

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by hairyPotter, Aug 16, 2004.

1. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

I'm about to venture into a possibly dangerous feat of Scalloping my Acoustic Guitar (yeah, its cheap, but I value it very much). I'm planning to unstring it (duh, of course!) and then use sand-paper to scratch scratch scratch the wood inbetween the fret wires until it becomes shallow enough. I'm going to scallop the area just behind the fret wire because thats where my fingers go all the time. I have a random "tronad" acoustic guitar that I bought from Shiva Musicals. Is it advisable to do this? (The main question is, would it "withstand" and not break?)

2. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Tronads are good guitars.. YOu should buy them from veena instead of Shiva musicals. Anyways Scalloping will probably afffect the sound.. Tronads cannot take the ujjing.. ANd its not an electric guitar so maybe you wont get a sound if you scallop.. YOu need a hollow fretboard for the sound to come..

My suggestion DONT.. And give me a call sometime.. I live in Bangalore too..

3. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

oh... I wanted to scallop only because I wanted to do 'bending' better by pushing the string "into" the fingerboard.

i worked for about 3 hours and then figured the wood is too hard... ;/ here is what I've done...

https://puggy.symonds.net/~suraj/pictures/myscallop.jpg

(the highlighted frets are the ones that have been scalloped. the rest are untouched. and note that this is the 13th and the 14th fret... which is difficult to use anyway, so there isn't much risk here ;) )

4. jayanth

That bending wont produce a sound .. Rightly.. Anyways you can bend better by using Lighter guaged strings...

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hey Dude,
    I looked at your scallopping. You have done it in an amazing way. When I opened the pci, I was thinking that you screwed up your guitar unneccasirily but you have done an awesome job. Why dont you go ahead and finish it.

6. jayanth

@ Ronnnie.. I have had an experience with Tronad Guitars.. Its a hollow fretboard.. The scalloping will increase the tension and also reduce the strength. .So you may not want that to happen..

7. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

U know By Scalloping u will destroy ur guitar in leading ..

8. sonnet

sonnet New Member

9. jayanth

Hmm.. Two more supporters for me.. Now Hairy??

10. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

dun do it.
    instead buy a nu guitar with lower action. remain happy.

11. jayanth

He he.. The Assassination Method.. ANyways.. You can change the fretboard to a different one..

12. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

Actually.. I'm now ultra confused (and scared) about even getting a custom scalloped guitar done. Why? Because there is too much of "raw" steels out there in the "air" and if I slide a lot, wouldn't it hurt my fingers? (Yes, I have very good calluses now, but still...?)

13. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

Increase the tension? You mean while we press it tends to get "tighter"? (since there is no wood immediately below the fingers?)

14. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I am not sure what does increase in tension mean. But scalloping can help you in getting the guitar sound effortlessly with your fingers. You dont need to press it as hard as normally you'd. I have played Veena and as you know Veena's neck is completely scallopped. So I felt it was much easier to do this sliding and bending in scallopped neck than the normal ones. Especially string bending would be a feast to do in scallopped ones.

15. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Wow! I gotta try that too.. and try to play like John McLaughlin.. ;)
    u gotta listen to some old Shakti records where McLaughlin plays on a scalloped guitar. Sounds amazing! Good for playing Indian (classical) music.

16. hairyPotter

hairyPotter New Member

I placed my order (finally) for a Custom guitar from Madras Musicals. I somehow got convinced that a scalloped guitar is too much of a pain because it seems the strings go out of tune every now and then and they become "weak" near the frets. So frequent replacement of the strings become essential.

I'm not going for a scalloped neck for now atleast ;/

17. jayanth

Its as asimple as this.. Take a piece of paper.. Break a rubber band and tie it to the ends of the paper piece so that the rubberband is straight and stretched.. and it wont stay.. But if you reinforce it with something stronger it will.. Or maybe even more paper..

Similar with the fretboard..If there is less wood that its actually supposed to have.. :think: