Home Recording with free downloaded softwares for Multi track recording

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by ronnieanand, Apr 5, 2005.

1. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Hi,
    I have a couple of free downloaded softwares for Multi track recording. But everytime I record, it sucks big time. I just dont get the same as how I had actually set up and it's noisy with a lot of hiss. When I record multiple tracks, the overall recording quality goes disastrous. I use Goldwave and Audacity. My setup for recording usually is Guitar -> Bunch of Pedals -> Line In or Guitar -> Processor -> Line In. Whatever I try, the recording always sounds screwed up. Do you guys have any tips or know hows for good home recording.

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

hmmm...i dont know y u are getting so much hiss.But ill tell u how I record(pretty clean)
    I use mic in...guitar->processor->compu through mic-in. I use Multiquence for recording.

There might be a prob with ur processor to comp cable.

3. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

u need to have a good sound card without which no setup can give u good results.

4. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

first of all, u need a full-duplex sound card. then, you need to plug in your cable in the mic in socket, not the line in one. last, you need a good software, like cakewalk pro audio or cool edit pro.

5. chintan9

Sound forge is the best recording software ever! (not including software for professionals)

Trust me on this one.

6. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

sound forge is great, but its focus is on sound editing, and not sound recording, so it doesnt have multi track support.

7. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

What you record throught the comp's line in or mic ports will always be inaccurate because of the inherent screw ups in sound card design. They are meant to handle clearly only the most obviously audible frequencies.

The only way around that is to get a really good mic, stick that into the sound card and use an amplifier.
    This way you even have the option of setting up the mic at whatever distance you want from the amp, so you have a little more control over the sound.

8. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

Junk goldwave/audacity asap...get a standard pc recording setup like

https://www.presonus.com/computerrecordingbasics.html

....trust me on this bro.Use something like cubase sx2 or above,acid pro4,sound forge 6 or above for edits,start using Reason for programming n get a hang of it and start adding other VSTs/DXis .If u have the cash,go in for a MOTU Setup

https://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828/body.html/en

if u're doing so,email me your address,i'll mail u softwares that'll make the pros "J" too ;)
    ordinary soundcards will always get u feelin' #$!$!$#$#^^%

there is a MOTU 828 (mark 2)for sale,good condition,110v ,lemme know if u're interested.i'll get the dtails then.if u want new motu stuff,lemme knw,the dealer here is a good friend,same goes for presonus,lexicon,etc lemme knw

9. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

10. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

i say u cna check out cakewalk home studio recording software......it is cool!

11. chintan9

@ronnie-- Dude I suggest you use a processor with an amp sim option. My gfx8 sounds killer with amp sim turned on. very professional sounding.

12. jekyll

jekyll Banned

cakewalk is not freeware

and the talk about soundcard being schittyy :RollLol:

seems like ppl dont even know about soundcards...

even the crapmost have 8 bit resolution whic is good enuff for typical home mike recording

the hiss is usually due to cables, or mic

the mic needs to have a large diaphragm else only the higher frequencies are picked by the mic that gives it telephonic sound quality (like the one i get)
    hiss will also be there due to air blowing over the mic

second thing is u are doing is direct plugin in to the line-in .. now i dunno y but most of the pros use their mic to get all the sound .. dont ask me why ... they just do it ... probably coz it records the sound that they are actually hearing ...
    and mostly coz hte cabinet resonates and produces a slightly diff sound than direct line-in

13. ronnieanand

Amp Sim is not an issue. Amp sims are super easy circuits. I can make myself a good cabinet simulator or even mic the amp. Micing the amp gives defenitely better results. The software I use and my PC sucks to the core. My PC takes 10 minutes to boot. Opening MS Word takes about 5 minutes. I need a good recording software. I used this Goldwave and Audacity. Both of them aren't great. You were telling about Sound Forge. Do you have them.

14. chintan9

hey ronnie just give it a try da. When i first plugged in my gfx8(with the amp sim turned off) the tone sucked big time but as soon as I turned it on the tone improved 10 fold. Trust me on this one. Just try it(use your ax1500g amp sim with all effects and stuff turned off).

The logic is simple

LIVE
    Direct to the Amp= Amp sim off
    Direct to the PA= Amp sim on

similarly
    Direct to line in(soundcard) = Amp sim on

And dude micing an amp is super tough, you need a good mic, a good amp, a good convertor, and great mic placement knowledge(which even few sound engineers in Bangalore have no idea about).

15. chintan9

By the way the best recording software out there is GARAGE BAND which is available only for Mac users. It has more features and is super user friendly.

16. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Let me jump in........

Most of the hiss i get while recording on comp is due to the monitor - CFT or TFT monitors whatever they are kinda boost the hiss for some reason.

If the hiss or hum you get is due to this just try recording with the monitor off and see the difference. The farther you sit from the monitor the less you get the hum.

17. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^^ yup..correct.
    basically try to put off most electrical appliances to avoid hum while u are recording.
    the noise has to do with ur sound card too.
    now given with ur current setup..its difficult to suggest stuff.
    but u could upgrade ,use the links given by soulscape.
    free softwares only work to a point..the interface though easy..will not allow u the flexibility u need..even in ur home recording purpose..ie if u wanna come up with some decent sounding track.
    i used audacity for a track..but the thing is im on a mac.g4.i just recorded this clip just for timepass..i didnt mix the 2 tracks..i just recorded..and bumped it as a wav file..it automatically made the 2 tracks into 1 mono track..
    and then converted into mp3..using i tunes.

https://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000148631_000029008.mp3

u could download a good pro software..from p2p sites..lol..yes..a cracked version try before u buy..hehe..but u will need to make upgradations in ur pc..to make it run smoothly.

18. ronnieanand

Micing guitars is usually not very difficult. Check out Ssslayer's recording by micing his Marshall with a cheap Rs.90 mic. It sounds really nice. Pretty decent reproduction of the original sound. By the way it's not Amp Sim. Amp Sim is the distortion you choose to use. It's the cabinet simulator that we are talking about.
    When you play through a cabinet like playing Live or in Jam Room you can safely switch off your cabinet sim. Cabinet Sims in series dont give good results. This is out of some experience when I setting my pedal board. I can build a Cabinet Sim myself. It's a pretty simple circuit that I can rig it up in an hour or two. Actually I dont want to use AX1500G or any processor for recording.The tones are a bit too harsh for my ears. Even if I keep it in bypass, it colors the sound hell a lot. All processor have a sick bypass. They are good only when played through them not when you bypass them. I prefer being as close as possible to the amp and get the sound to be pretty natural.

By the way which is a good recording software for Windows. I dont have Mac.

19. jekyll

jekyll Banned

dude give kristal a try it is a multi track recorder, i switched to it since i got fed up with audacity's handicaps
    b.t.w. kristal does not come with very good builtin effects - but then who needs it - i like the delay from my processor miore than audacity or kristal

so give kristal a try just for once

and yeah elighten me on actually what do these cabinet resonator simulator do
    i have an idea that it tries to simulate an actual cabinet
    but
    exactly how?

and regarding miking an amp - u dont need to be a pro experience holder to do it, few hours of experimentaion n recording does it

anway i dont think ron i gonna come out with a CD using just freeware sofwares :p:

20. chintan9

hey man i am not saying you have to use the 1500g for recording, just use it for it amp sim ( oops i mean cab sim :p: ). But if you think it colours the sound then making one is even better. Best of luck!