Home made Distortion Pedal

Discussion in 'Bengali Guitar Tabs - Submit or Request' started by rockbabun, Mar 21, 2007.

?

What will be used for the distortion's body??

1. Metal

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Wood

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. rockbabun

rockbabun New Member

Hi all....

Saptashaw got a great idea about making a distortion pedal at home. He told me about this... and we decided to go further.

We researched, and found that all the components needed were easy to get from our well-known chandni market. We just listed the components and on a fine morning went there for component hunting.

That day we got most of the things..but for some things the situation was like "chai na ja pai, pai na ja chai" :p:

But those were not a problem as Saptashaw found alternative ways....

Saptashaw started the project..and I joined him at the lab from the next day.

Rahul (Saptashaw's friend) is also working with us..mainly for testing.

Our Workshop is the project lab of Future Institute of Engineering and Management.

#####################
    PLEASE VOTE
    #####################

We r thinking about the cabinate of the distortion box...what will do the best... wood or metal??

#####################

:::::::::::::::TO FL : Please do not move the thread:::::::::::::

Below r sum pictures of our project...we'll upload more as the work progresses.....

1. The circuit on breadboard (half completed)
    2. Saptashaw and Rahul are working on the project
    3. Me working
    4. Initial stage....
    5. Saptashaw discussing with FIEM faculty Mr. Subhasis Banerjee

Attached Files:

himika9 likes this.
  2. himika9

himika9 !!!WANNA B ROCKSTAR!!!

dist box cover i would vote for metal...i dunno...well great work guys :D...keep it up...wish u all the best...dont worry...hoye gele amake present kore dio....i mean jodi successful hoy....noile u can keep it as a present from me :p:

3. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks, Himi. Toke definitely present korbo - e-mail kore debo ;)

himika9 likes this.
  4. hacker_x

hacker_x New Member

zzzz......

frankly speaking, it depends on ur budget :beer: ! neone ud do fine ! go ahead ! eagerly waiting for it ! :cool:

LONG LIVE BANGLA ROCK

5. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks Sweatv, but we really want to know what you'd prefer if you were to choose for your own pedal. Please give the reason too as it would help guide us a lot.

6. rockbabun

rockbabun New Member

@ himika and Hacker

Thanx guys...and pls tell others who do not visit BGT these days....

7. hacker_x

hacker_x New Member

zzzz......

then i ud go for metal ;)

it ud be better if its hard fibre body, thenu wont have those earthing probs ! and it ud be of high compatibility too ! :beer:

but jus forget the case ! make it happen first ! :p:

LONG LIVE BANGLA ROCK

8. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Thanks!! The project WILL be successful, don't worry ;) . We intend on making several more pedals.

9. rockbabun

rockbabun New Member

@hacker

the project will b a sucessfull one...dun worry..keep supporting us !! :rock:

10. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

guys,
    congratulations for starting off a project like this, and wish you fantastic success.
    make the body metallic if you can, with proper internal shielding. that'd be best.
    btw, this is the Boss DS-1 clone, isn't it?

11. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

I don't think getting a metal body will be too easy. The circuit borad(or whatever you call it) is too long. I think it would be easier to design a custom wooden box. And a wooden casing might solve a lot of earthing related problems.

12. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

bah bah chalie jao........:p:bass er jonno ekta amar ekta deba dar dio:grin:

13. crazy_keys

crazy_keys New Member

shabbash guyssss!!!!very well done...it requires a lot of guts, brains and technical expertise to undertake a project like this...n u guys have proved that u posses all of them along with your understanding and knowledge of music...
    ...a metal cover would make a dist pedal look attractive but a wooden cover would make it much more convinient and would definitely solve a lot of electrical problems.but if u can provide proper internal shielding n padding,them definitely go for metal....by the way...ei pedal-ta'r naam ki dewa hochhe???

14. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

No way...Only a Metal Casing can solve this earthing related problems. The ground is giving to the body of the case, which is better, so that the case of the pedal, the case of your guitar cable, the guitar bridge are all in tune with the same potential.

15. rockbabun

rockbabun New Member

@ sayanakaharry, debankan, lefty_guitarist, crazy_keys, ronnieanand

Thanx for your suggestions guyz!!

yes its a boss DS-1 clone!

And....

We will go for the metal casing....

16. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

More than the casing, the toughest thing is to get those Stompbox type switches. I got mine from US with much difficulties...

17. Strat

Strat Floydian

Excellent. Well done...!

Metal will be fine.

And don't forget to invite me in its premiere release ceremony.

18. nik_bokacheley

nik_bokacheley :help: I'm a mad :sadbye:

Great. I might need something like this soon.:eek:: I am on for the hunt.

19. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Strat, Nik, rest assured ;) .

Ronnieanand, we're also working on the switches. We're thinking about instaling a plastic stomp switch and then adding a lever to activae it to save it from damage. Any suggestions you have are welcome, man. Also, could you please post a pic of your pedal??

20. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Guys, we are very sorry we won't be able to post any pics tonight. Rockbabun has the pics in his mobile and his Internet has been disconnected. Hopefully I will be able to get the pics tomorrow and post them.

Update: Today we couldn't complete the circuit as we didn't have a couple types of diodes needed. Hopefully, we'll be able to get them by the weekend, if not tomorrow, and resume our work. The circuit is near completion. Only the power supply and the multivibrator is left. We hope to finish it within 30 minutes of getting our supplies ;). Then we'll be testing it and debugging anything that goes wrong, like loose connections and stuff.