Hi - seeking your help in buying a guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by apray, Aug 27, 2006.

1. apray

apray New Member

Looking for a guitar within 15k in mumbai

Hi all... this is Abhijit. I just came across this site and found it really cool - so got registered immediately. I think this is a really useful place for people to share info about guitars.
    About me... well, I'm a guitar enthusiast who's lost touch since a few years - thanks to academics and job... :-(. However, am planning to start anew - first step being .... buying a decent guitar.
    May I request you guys to help me choose something in the range of 10-15k (inclusive of amp) in mumbai. I don't plan to play much rock - but mainly accompany in hindi film music and ghazals (my parents are radio artists and I accompany them in some of their concerts). I was looking basically for an acoustic-electric or a hollow-body electric - but don't mind buying an electric either. Am not very comfortable with dreadnought models - and as far as looks go, am crazy about les paul designs :) Going through Furtado's latest price-list, I have shortlisted the following (their price-list did not mention any hollow-body-electrics) - will really appreciate your opinion on these - plus any hollow-bodies in my budget range (I don't need an amp for a hollow-body - so the guitar price go go up to 15k)!
    Thanks!!

1 - Greg Bennet, Electric Guitar Avion AV-1
    2 - Fender, Acoustic Guitar, DG-4CE (with electronics)
    3 - Samick, Acoustic Guitar LW-025GCEQ(with pick-up and EQ)
    4 - Samick, Acoustic Guitar LW-015GE /Natural (with pick-up)
    5 - Washburn, Electric Guitar X10
    6 - Samick LS-11S (Strat type model)
    7 - Silvertone, Electric Guitar Package, Citation SS10PK /Black (don't laugh - it's just the price tag that made me put it on my list :))

2. apray

apray New Member

Hi... can anyone help pl??

3. rohit

rohit New Member

don't buy that silvertone package that is not good.fender dg4ce is good one.
    in electrics don't go for samick .get a fender strat(chinese) it is for 12-13k (not sure)

4. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

chk out Bajaao.com,owned by a pretty reliable guy and the rates are the best available in mumbai ...

5. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

cant help u fella but want to wish u luck in ur endeavour

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Try and find a luthier who can make you a custom hollow-body. Contact me by PM and I'll see if I can help you out.

7. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

ahah not nother Tulsi contact thread....;)

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I dont think anyone will make you a custom hollowbody for 10-12K..maybe Tulasi..
    You can look at the Squier Telecaster or Squire Stratocaster.The single-coils on these should serve you well.
    For Acoustic, look at the Fender or the Yamaha in the 10K range.I dunno the price of Ovations/Takamines, but they are surely costlier than this.
    Dont go for the Samick/Greg bennet or Silvertone stuff.

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Do what nebuchadnezzar says, hes the guru ;)

10. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

^^:shock:
    Where did that come from?

11. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

12. apray

apray New Member

Thanks for your opinions folks! I'm certainly throwing Silvertone out of the list. However, I came across a few reviews on this site that said Greg Bennett is quite good. Anyways, I'm raising Fender DG4 to the top of my list... though I can decide only when i lay my hands on the real ones in the shop!
    Thanks to TheDevil for suggesting bajaao.com. However, I wanted to know - is there a way I can actually try out the guitars offered by bajaao.com?

13. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

a) what reviews? its not really 'good', it just seems to offer a lot of features. it's my personal view though
    b) bajaao is an online store. they have a warehouse but no showroom. the closest you could get is to look around local guitar shops to see if the one you want is lying around and ask to play it. in this case however you won't get the guitar you tried, but something similar.

14. lostinnocence

lostinnocence New Member

guitar

dude a 15k guitar isnt gonna sound very different from a 5k givson electric{from experience}
    buy a givson hone ur skills,preferences and then buy a high end model