help with tuning and not breaking the strings

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by helion, Sep 8, 2004.

1. helion

helion New Member

all,

i need ur help about tuning an acoustic guitar and not breaking the strings.

a lot of them go ok.. only the g string breaks.

in as many times i have re strung the guitar, i lost about9 G(3) strings, 2-5 E(1) strings, under 3 D(4) strings and 1-2 A (5) strings.

a lot of it sounds like horns in different pitches if not connected in tuning.

and the G string (any for that matter)
    (a) tunes well..I leave it over a day or night, and its flatter and i re tune the guitar... snap.

or(b) a minute or no more.. its flatter by an eighth or less.. and well the same.

yeah so usual this one.

thanks.

2. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Dude the G-String breaks and u r sad? u gotta be happy! ;-)
    but seriously, other than problems with the quality, type (wounded or not?) and guage of the string, these are the things that could matter:

1. Where does the string break? Random? Or right where you insert it in the peg? If its the latter, then look at how you are winding it. One of my friends had this problem - since the strings are usually much longer than they need to be, he just pulled it tight to the peg, and bent it at the peg so that he actually had to twist the tuning peg very little to get it really tight. If you do this, the string bends hard at the peg and there is too much tension which could break it. To avoid this, don't pull the string hard when you pass it through the tuning peg (there should be no sound if you plcuk the string). Then wind the peg to tighten the string, so that it wraps around the peg instead of jsut bend on it. The first few turns might be annoying but it'll settle down after a few turns.
    2. When you get new strings for the guitar, never tune them to the full pitch in one shot. Tune it so that it doesn't sag but is say a couple of notes below its right pitch. Leave it like this for some time, so the string gets set. Then take it again and tune it up to the right pitch (this might be the reason it breaks when you pick it up the next day)
    3. Try wounded G strings

3. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

actually in my exp wounded 3rd strings(as opposed to g-strings :p) break more often ..coz if u play many bends on em.and u will if ur into gnr...the windings break.and ur left with the thinnesr inner core wire....other than that.when u string ur guitar...stretch the strings....this is done by attaching the string...tuning it....loosening the peg....again tightening it ....and keep doin this till u dont loose the tuning u give to whatever string it is...so basically this involves tuning and detuning a string over and over again....and what ananth said makes sense.......dont keep the bend too close......the string length is exces........use it..

4. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

btw u might also wanna change stings every two weeks if u practice say about 2-3 hrs a day...i prefer changing mine on a monthly basis....or get good strings like say gibson,ernies or fender

5. helion

helion New Member

thanks ......

ananth222,

happy for i had to rid a bad one......(these never NEVER (oh) give the G. they always ring less than G.)

and whuh a fifty rs for 4-5 strings in a go.

yeah i shud have tuned them a note less and laid it a day and re tuned fully again.

helion.

6. pro_Guitar

pro_Guitar New Member

Anyone ever try electric strings on your acoustic. Sounds really good and twangy.
    Daddario's are cheaper than other imported brands and last long.

7. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

dint know electric strings were dif than accoustics :think:
    most strings sound good and twangy when they r new.......but as the dirt gets into the windings...they becomne heavier and the tone becomes rounder..

8. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I would go for Ernie Ball over D addrios cause of its sound.. also check out https://www.alanhorvath.com and follow his instrictiong to change strings..

9. sukrit_7

sukrit_7 New Member

hey helion. just wanted t say that when ur putting a new stick just press it on any fret and pull it a bit of times as when it gets fully streched it doesnt loose itz tuning.. also get some software from the net if u have problems tuning ur guitar.. y dont u try something from download.com i gt some stuff frm there. n yeah i agree with anath cut out the extra part of the string instead of wounding it around and aroun

10. shak

shak Harrr!

try lubricating your guitar nut with lead pencil...i have..it doesn't look good but it helps alot in mantaining the tuning of the strings, bends and prevents premature string breakage...

11. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

As Saurabh says... is it really necessary to change strings that often?... I change mine every 6 months!!! even tho i play a lot...!!

12. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Man, you should change your strings every 2 or 3 weeks.

Apart from them getting really dirty, they loose alot of tone,sound lifeless and they feel like plastic :p: .I play like 2 to 3 hours a day and in a week and a half they are already pretty dead, until i changed to GHS ;)

13. ninad77

ninad77 New Member

Yes One thing I agree is that Ernie Balls & Dean Markelys are far better than Daddiro's I change mine every 40 to 45 days My Acoustic strings once a every 2 months ... I think incase u are problems with Tunning u should buy a Korg or Ibanez Tuner or incase u want spend a bit try looking for BOSS TU series Tuners ..

14. this was really helpful<>thankz ,,all u guyz there