Help with sweep picking

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by sayanakaharry, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

Can u guys help me with sweep picking technique? I mean, right from what it is to how its done effectively and well. and maybe some practice pieces? thanx in advance.

2. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

u can check ouy cyberfret.com ,in the techniques section they got an article on sweep picking

3. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Well you can check out cyberfret but what exactly is there to learn about sweep picking. The name is pretty self-explanatory. You pick all the notes in one sweep. Downstroke while going down...upstroke while going up.

And a practice piece is 'Kissing The Shadows' by Children of Bodom... :p:

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

ill try to explain it my way..instead of just sayin cyberfret.com...hehehe..
    no offence guys just kiddin..

sweep technique is basically when u pick the notes in one sweep where each note is defined unlike a strum ....as dmf said..earlier..downstroke while goin down and upstroke while goin up..
    this technique is mainly used while playin arpeggios..
    so i would suggest u play a simple triad..using the sweep ...say d major ..on the
    1st ,2nd and third string..
    e-------2---5
    b-----3
    g---2
    where 5 is an upstroke.
    play it slowly and try to get ur left hand in sync too and get it clean first..and then move on to a higher speed..use the same position to play diff keys..

do this much..first..baby steps..
    these are three string sweeps..5 string sweeps,etc are tougher..
    i ve attempted to play them in my bands song last page..the thread is there in music talk..where there is a link to the song..
    the sweep part.. is arnd 3:20...
    peace..
    hope this helps a bit.

5. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

thanx a million

6. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller