Help with Linux

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by dennis, Feb 22, 2006.

1. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

I just installed Mandriva Linux 2006 on my compu. Being the absolute linux n00bie that I am i havent been able to:

1. Configure my sound. When I play an mp3 on Amarok i get no sound. (Im using KDE). My soundcard is a Realtek one ( the one on the Intel 915GLVG motherboard)
    2. My internet connection. I am using an ADSL connection, the modem is connected to my USB port. The driver CD that came along with my Airtel connection has only Windows drivers.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

2. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Mandriva, Fedora & many other free Linux Versions have stopped carrying MP3 Plugin alongwith default installations due to Patent regulations enforced...
    U will have to install MP3 plugin yourself to be able to play MP3 format tracks..
    Check out:
    https://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2248898/com/glame-lame-2.0.1-1plf.i586.rpm.html

For ADSL connection, you have to open terminal and type:
    pppoe or pppoeconf
    This would begin a TEXT-Based Install Wizard within your Terminal which you can easily follow as its same like Windows Dialer for PPPOE/WAN Miniport Connections...

I havent yet installed and tested Mandriva 2006 on my laptop.. Would be doing soon and then i can help you more for other inputs..
    Currently i am using UBuntu 5.10 as its has 100% detection for my entire laptop hardware...

REgards,
    Zooom..!!

3. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Oh...I don't know about the motherboard dude.....I have the same motherboard and my Slackware hanged after installing ....it started later but there were so many glitches that i kept the new comp for windows and installed S'ware on old PC...:)

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

@zoom - yaar the mp3 opens in Amarok...theres even visualization, bas aawaz nahi aa rahi.
    And the ADSL modem i have is connected to my USB port...i havent been able to install that too, bah!!...y does it all have to be so tough

@LOE: lol, I cant believe you surrendered to Microsoft :phbbt: ...hahaha

5. zing

zing Machine Head

i havn't used mandriva -- but had similar prob with sound on my slack box -- i used 'alsaconfig' to get it to work - just try typing 'man alsaconfig' for options

also had same prob with software-based 'winmodem' -- check out https://linmodems.org/ or https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html to see if there's a linux driver for ur modem

6. gogol

gogol New Member

Realtek. This link might help...I guess!

Try and let me know!
    Bye and Happy Hacking,
    Ankur(gogol)

7. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Dennis....I'm not realy in a position to troubleshoot myself....so MS it is for the moment.

8. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

Is the problem strictly with sound configuration ? I mean are u also not able to hear those popup system sounds? ..or is it only a problem playing mp3s? If its only a problem with mp3s -- give up amarok and install mplayer or even realplayer and u should be fine.

For the modem issue -- first call airtel and let them know that 'there is a demand' for linux driver as well -- and tell them that u'd otherwise go for another provider. At this point not too sure about airtels' adsl connectivity ---but airtels gprs connectivity is set up this way to work on linux:
    https://www.mobguru.com/Linux+GPRS+Bluetooth.htm

9. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

?? given up

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Yup, totally given up.
    Enthu poora khata ho gaya

11. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

kya yaar ....:mad:

... agar sirf mp3 ka problem hai to chota sa problem tha but if u are not hearing the system sound also -- it mite need some tweaking!

LINUX is not user friendy -- its very selective about making friends! :p:

12. gm_bayzid

gm_bayzid New Member

Hi Man... its not because of your LINUX OS actually... its because of the motherboard... the 915 motherboard is creating problem for most of the users... even sometimes in windows... as I work in this field I have seen a lot of such problems... you better Try out with Fedora 4 or just wait for 2 months for Fedora 5 release... or you can also contact with the realtek customer care if they have any sol for this prob... thanks...

13. gm_bayzid

gm_bayzid New Member

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Thanks Mate. If this doesnt work then i aint using Linux ever.

15. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Yippe, so I installed Fedore 5.

As usual i am facing a few problems:
    1. Cant play mp3's, avi's..the GNU apps included dont play either format. I try to install Banshee but on running configure i get the following error message,
    No acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

2. Secondly i want to configure the boot loader GRUB and i want to make Windows the default OS.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

16. sixstringsin

sixstringsin ||||||

to get rid of the PATH error do this:

#whereis gcc

you mite get something like this as o/p: /usr/bin/gcc

then run the following:
    #export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/gcc